Sign in to follow this  

89 Honda xr100 runs rough and knocking help

I just squired this 1989 Honda Xr 100. I very thoroughly cleaned the carb and it has good compression. It will start and run, but it isn't getting as much power as it should and it is knocking. I am brand new to 4 strokes so please someone help! I don't know it is a valve issue or what!

Adjusting your valves is the best place to start. They should be checked anyways as part of routine maintenence. I would also make sure oil is fresh and clean the air filter. Where is your knocking comming from? Top end or bottom end? 

Adjusting your valves is the best place to start. They should be checked anyways as part of routine maintenence. I would also make sure oil is fresh and clean the air filter. Where is your knocking comming from? Top end or bottom end?

Honestly I don't know, sounded more like top end but don't know forsure

The biggest fault of these motors is the cam towers. Lack of proper care and oil changes can cause the to wear and the cam to float some. Hopefully its just the valves though. Has the motor even been apart do you know? 

Pull your valve cover and check cam towers and cam for wear, no sense adjusting valves on a bad cam