how to tell if I have SS valves

Ok. So my 2004 crf250 has been amazing to me. Starts first kick, plenty of power, valves haven't moved one bit. I got it from my buddy who rode the bike for a year now I have it and have ridden it about the same. Not one valve adjustment has been needed in 2 years. Im thinking that somewhere in the 9 years of the bikes life someone might have installed stainless steel intake valves. I'm going to do a top and bottom end this winter juat so I know there done. While I'm In there is there any way I could tell if I have SS valves? The bike was raced at somepoint in its life before me so its possible it has them

If the bike was raced there is a good chance that the valves are not SS. Racers tend to not like the stainless valves do to the weight of the valve. High revs with a heavy valve may cause valve float. It is possible that they changed out the seats to beryllium or nickel bronze and stuck to the titanium valves. One way to check is to see if the valve is magnetic. although not always full proof do to the fact that not all stainless is magnetic. You can also check the seats with the magnet. 

If the bike was raced there is a good chance that the valves are not SS. Racers tend to not like the stainless valves do to the weight of the valve. High revs with a heavy valve may cause valve float. It is possible that they changed out the seats to beryllium or nickel bronze and stuck to the titanium valves. One way to check is to see if the valve is magnetic. although not always full proof do to the fact that not all stainless is magnetic. You can also check the seats with the magnet. 

ok  when its torn down ill try the magnet to the valves and the seats.  if the seats are stock will the magnet stick?.    i do know it was raced. how much or how hard  i do not know.  all i know is that it has a tech sticker from a local track.  and it has little modifications like an older fmf pipe and a factory connection barmount.  all from 04 to 05.  so when the bike was brand new it was raced for atleast a year.  i just  find it odd that me or my friend havent had to touch the valves at all.  all i hear is that the older hondas eat valves. mine seems to be pretty good

i just  find it odd that me or my friend havent had to touch the valves at all.  all i hear is that the older hondas eat valves. mine seems to be pretty good

Anytime you hear about a problem with a bike/car/etc, it is probably 10x-100x exaggerated.

Those were the early days of the MX 4 strokes, and a lot of guys didn't have realistic expectations for valve life coming off of 2 strokes.