we love our 2013 yz250f but,,,

We need more power. :goofy:  My son loves the bike but wants a little more power. I know I can do the basic hot rod stuff like compression,cams ect but I want something "cheap". :lol:

We are racing on a budget so we are looking for what works for the least amount spent. If he keeps looking good and working hard we are going to head down to Mini Os.

Thanks in advance and here is a pic of the yzf turning and burning.

1374086_743342912358550_531560316_n_zps9

Wow awsome photo !! I no it may be a stupid suggestion but maybe a bigger sprocket ? Change the ratio get a little more pep

What all do you currently have done to it? Id recomend an exhaust and jet the bike

pipe is about the worst money spent.

what IS your budget?

swapping the airboot from a 2005 yz250f is supposed to give the bike more power

Thanks everybody. I dont have a set budget but I also cant spend 7 or 800 dollars right now. I was looking into the Williams motorworks ignition kit but it says that you need valve springs with it and that means it must turn the limiter up and I would rather not spin the motor any higher then it is. I know thats where the power is but if we blow it up we wont be racing for a while.

Here is a few clips and keep in mind he only gets to ride 3 or 4 times a month  so he doesnt have much time on a Yamaha so his corner speed is not where it should be yet but he is in love with this bike over his Hondas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C2MCi3tuWM

If anybody in our area (Va,NC) is real good with suspensions and has knowledge on how to tune suspension I would be happy to give you a days pay to help us out. I havent raced for almost 30 years and just dont know how to setup a modern bike.

in 2014 we are going to give a full 100% effort to train and ride and go to some am nationals.

Thanks again.

Oh almost forgot,the bike is new and dead stock. 

either his cam or his headwork.

cam swap is almost zero downtime.

Get the suspension valved and sprung for his weight and speed.... That's worth more then any pipe or bolt on item in itself....

Edited by originalmonk

Get the suspension valved and sprung for his weight and speed.... That's worth more then any pipe or bolt on item in itself....

Then wouldn't he be as fast as he already is? Maybe try getting it set up for 1 notch faster! Edited by ickfinger

Then wouldn't he be as fast as he already is? Maybe try getting it set up for 1 notch faster!

He would be faster.... The bike will handle better and won't wear the rider out as quick, in turn saving energy....

swapping the airboot from a 2005 yz250f is supposed to give the bike more power

Anyone tried this?

I fabricated and installed my own Snap (FMF Snap)  It immediately broaden the power right off idle.  It is $100 bucks, if you make it your self probably 2 to 3 hours and no cost.  I did not notice any loss on top but I do not motocross only ride offroad.

NOTHING you can do in the form of engine modifications for $1000 is going to affect results.

("Really, you would have finished higher with an aftermarket ignition?")

Use your money to keep it in top condition.

Mods are madness on your stated budget. Keep fresh tires on it.

So many bikes with Ti mufflers and worn tires on the start line.

Frequent Quality oil and filters will keep the current performance longer.

Regularly serviced suspension will preform better and more consistently. (Re-Valving/springing is the only mod a budget team would consider. Do the race sag set up to determine if your springs are the correct rate)

Not as "sexy", but I'd suggest better value.

Thanks everybody. Right now I think we are going to be contacting race tech and do the suspension. Thats usually the first thing we do to a bike but he likes this suspension the way it is. I feel he likes it because he doesnt realize how much better it can be.

The reason I was thinking more power is because at the last race he was lined up against modded bikes and a couple of 250 two strokes and he got pulled pretty good on the start and ended up having to come from dead last both motos and in this area B class is fast and its hard to come from last.He could only make it back to 6th.

I have all his lap times from all our local tracks in detail so after we get the suspension done I will go back and compare times.

Thanks again for all your help.

Anyone tried this?

I think MXA said it would work. I personally have not tried it, however. Or just get the MT Air4orce and run the short stack. It certainly runs better up top with the new airboot.

Yamahas have really good suspension stock so IDK about getting the shims shuffled.

Changing the fluids couldn't hurt though.

I think MXA said it would work. I personally have not tried it, however. Or just get the MT Air4orce and run the short stack. It certainly runs better up top with the new airboot.

Did the test Irini make a noticeable difference? Can you quantify it

I fabricated and installed my own Snap (FMF Snap)  It immediately broaden the power right off idle.  It is $100 bucks, if you make it your self probably 2 to 3 hours and no cost.  I did not notice any loss on top but I do not motocross only ride offroad.

Pics please.

keep it in top condition.

Keep fresh tires on it. So many bikes with Ti mufflers and worn tires on the start line.

Conditioning is essential for everyone that wants to progress from amateurs. I guess it can't be said enough.  

Fresh tires, wow 1% wear can make such a huge difference on the start straight. Roger Decoster says its the best way to spend $100. He da man.

I feel he likes it because he doesnt realize how much better it can be.

The reason I was thinking more power is because at the last race he was lined up against modded bikes and a couple of 250 two strokes and he got pulled pretty good on the start

Get him to ride as many other YZ250fs (with different suspensions setups/revlaves) as possible. Back to back on the same track and day is the best way with a young rider who doesn't know what he's looking for.

Re: getting dragged

Was he using the right technique? Power is only 50% or less of the equation. Pinning it is not all there is to it. Try a 450f wheel with soft open tire, keep weight back and butt an inch off the seat, shift points obviously need to be perfect. Wow, there are so many elements to a holeshot, most of which he can control. Research, test and practice for holeshots.

For mods, I would talk to a reputable tuner who should be able to give good advice (for free) about 'stage 1' mods. Race gas can make a pretty big improvement for the money, but your tuner should be able to help you prioritize. Again, your part (the bike) is 50% or less on even the deepest steepest start straight. That's why we love motocross. :ride:  

Edited by Swappa

Did the test Irini make a noticeable difference? Can you quantify it

I am pretty sure MXA said it dynoed a full hp with it bolted up. I thought the bike felt better when I added it. I have a 10 though, so the gearing and powerband is a little lower-oriented than the 12-13. But in general, the YZF motor just doesn't have that light, revvy-feeling like some of the other bikes (I usually use a 2010+ Honda as comparison). So no, the MT and an exhaust will not magically transform the characteristics of the motor to the degree of the Honda, but I still think it lets the bike feel like it makes more power up top w/o as much of that 'hanging' feeling, if you know what I mean. It also depends on the track. My closest track that I usually practice on, I really think the power is awesome (useable), after the mods. On the flip side, I just raced High Point over the weekend and I feel like I still coulda used some more on top. So it all depends. But to answer your question plainly, yes I think the MT airboot is a worthwhile mod on these bikes.