Sign in to follow this  

Warm winter gear?

I'm looking for particularly gloves, I've bought probably over $100 dollars in several pairs of gloves but none do what they promise and that's to keep my hands warm! I realize they do when I'm not moving along at a high rate if speed.. Anyways I need a solid pair of gloves to keep my hands warm in winter. Temps go anywere from 40F. To -5F. I've ridden at lowest temps of -8. I've also ridden at 10-20-30 wich is were it usually is with the occasion of 40. And rate occasion of negative numbers, happens once maybe two or three times a year . Any gloves that you'll recommend?

What works for me is Grip heaters and PowerMadd gauntlets that go on the bars and grips. They are the square kind that have a fairly large hole that your hand goes in. If you wreck, you fall out of them pretty easy. I found one pair of gloves that was a happy medium between warmth and not being too bulky. They were an off brand, Arctic Gear which I can no longer find. I wear thin underarmor and I wear a Walls Bib from walmart. It has zippers up the side making it easy to get in and out of plus it's big so while keeping me warm, I dont get too hot. I wear a xxl heavy thinsulate shirt over everything and a wind breaking vest over that. I like the vest because if I start to get too hot, I can unzip the vest and regulate It's always a fine balance between staying warn and getting too hot. For socks i've found that thin Rocky thinsulate socks work pretty well and Merino wool socks work well too.  You might be able to see the Powermadd Gauntlets in this pic.  Im up here in NePA ... cant wait for snow...Hope it's better than last year. XCW-inSnow_zps92724f78.jpg

What works for me is Grip heaters and PowerMadd gauntlets that go on the bars and grips. They are the square kind that have a fairly large hole that your hand goes in. If you wreck, you fall out of them pretty easy. I found one pair of gloves that was a happy medium between warmth and not being too bulky. They were an off brand, Arctic Gear which I can no longer find. I wear thin underarmor and I wear a Walls Bib from walmart. It has zippers up the side making it easy to get in and out of plus it's big so while keeping me warm, I dont get too hot. I wear a xxl heavy thinsulate shirt over everything and a wind breaking vest over that. I like the vest because if I start to get too hot, I can unzip the vest and regulate It's always a fine balance between staying warn and getting too hot. For socks i've found that thin Rocky thinsulate socks work pretty well and Merino wool socks work well too. You might be able to see the Powermadd Gauntlets in this pic. Im up here in NePA ... cant wait for snow...Hope it's better than last year. Posted Image

I'm liking that idea ! And yes last year here in PA the snow sucked.. Not enough hardly for the snowmobiles! But how do you keep the quads moving in the snow?! My 450. Just spins!

I'm liking that idea ! And yes last year here in PA the snow sucked.. Not enough hardly for the snowmobiles! But how do you keep the quads moving in the snow?! My 450. Just spins!

The quads have trouble keeping up...im on the Ktm in that pic ...stud tires , hooks up great , even 4x4 quads cant keep up ....what fun ! Edited by avocasingletrack

The quads have trouble keeping up...im on the Ktm in that pic ...stud tires , hooks up great , even 4x4 quads cant keep up ....what fun !

I've got 5. Sets of studded tires for my bikes! Winter riding is the best! But my wife loves the quad but hates riding in writer cuz she just spins and slips around!

Handguards do a good job of blocking wind too to supplement some thicker gloves.
exactly. i'll try to find a pic or link to the Powermadd hand gauntlets i use. Found it , these are the ones. And yeah you need at pretty strong stator for grip heaters. They need 35watts continuous and a 35 watt stator usually means 35 watt peak . My ktm and WR stators powered them fine .

https://www.denniskirk.com/617843.sku?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse

Edited by avocasingletrack

About these grip heaters, I've never been around them at all, but am interested.  I feel like if I had warm hands I could extend my season.  I've got an 02 WR250F.  This was before the electric start and battery.  Does that matter?

About these grip heaters, I've never been around them at all, but am interested.  I feel like if I had warm hands I could extend my season.  I've got an 02 WR250F.  This was before the electric start and battery.  Does that matter?

Yeah it matters. You need a good stator for grip heaters. If your bike will keep a 25 watt headlight lit up well at idle then it should work. You also have to tape up the bars on the clutch side or all the heat goes out the bars into the wind. The throttle side grip heater is on the throttle tube so no heat loss out the bars

Yeah it matters. You need a good stator for grip heaters. If your bike will keep a 25 watt headlight lit up well at idle then it should work. You also have to tape up the bars on the clutch side or all the heat goes out the bars into the wind. The throttle side grip heater is on the throttle tube so no heat loss out the bars

Thanks for the info.  May look into it more as the mercury drops. 

exactly. i'll try to find a pic or link to the Powermadd hand gauntlets i use. Found it , these are the ones. And yeah you need at pretty strong stator for grip heaters. They need 35watts continuous and a 35 watt stator usually means 35 watt peak . My ktm and WR stators powered them fine .

https://www.denniskirk.com/617843.sku?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cse

can those be used with pro taper hand gaurds? Probly the power add? I had powermads on my old yz426. And didn't like them at all..

Handguards do a good job of blocking wind too to supplement some thicker gloves.

Depending on how cold it is there are several solutions. 

Just slightly cold and hand guards do a decent job of keeping wind off your hands.

Colder and then add heavier gloves, ski gloves work well.

Colder add elephant ears, or similar, to provide more protection from the wind.

Next is wear mittens rather than gloves.

Last for me are Grip heaters.

Any colder than that and I don't want to be outside, let alone on a motorcycle.  YMMV

Edited by Chuck.

Grip heaters are great if your charging system has the wattage to run them. 

I took the old heaters off my sled (upgraded the sled's warmers) and put them on my bike... Works well, but if i'm at ldle I have to either shut off the grips (about 50 watts) or headlight (55 watts).  Over 1/4-throttle it'll keep up, but in slow traffic it kills the battery quick. 

+1 for snowmobile gear.  Thin enough to work controls, heavy enough to keep your hands warm.  Klim, HMK, Motorfist... all good brands. 

Depending on how cold it is there are several solutions. 

Just slightly cold and hand guards do a decent job of keeping wind off your hands.

Colder and then add heavier gloves, ski gloves work well.

Colder add elephant ears, or similar, to provide more protection from the wind.

Next is wear mittens rather than gloves.

Last for me are Grip heaters.

Mittens ???  gonna be pretty hard to control a bike.  Gauntlets and grip heaters are first , then one size thicker gloves than regular riding gloves. It's starts getting very hard to control a dirtbike when you get into ski gloves or anything thicker

They have these covers that go over yout bars and you have to stick your arm inside them they go up to about your elbow. Also thor makes waterproof winter gloves that work pretty well at keeping my hands warm.

Heated motorcycle gloves are warmer then heated bars. The big plus is there're lower wattage at around 27. The carbon ones are a more even heat then the ones that have wires. 

Edited by Rotax
  • Like 1

Heated motorcycle gloves are warmer then heated bars. The big plus is there're lower wattage at around 27. The carbon ones are a more even heat then the ones that have wires.

How are they for offroad ? links ?