how to TT250/350 Xt350/250 Decompression leaver oil seal replacment

Hi guys I was thinking I would post some pictures to help anyone out if/when anyone else has to do this on the xt350/tt350/ tt250 4 valve engine.

At first glance this seems like a straight forward job, slide out the leaver, pop out the seal and replace, that is only sort of true:

IMG_0498.JPG

Design flaw? this bike is a 1990 Australian TT350 its the same machine as the USA TT350 1986, 1987 and shares almost identical engine to the xt350 and xt250 4 valve (tt 350 has upgraded clutch and oil pump and a better designed air box, better suspension) I believe the same problem with the leaver not clearing the frame exists on all of these models.

So instead of removing the engine i removed the carburettor, unmounted the shock reservoir, undid the mounting bolts front, top and the single hidden one underneath the main swing arm bolt.

IMG_0499.JPG

The engine was then free enough to pull back on and rotate to get clearance to remove the leaver (just)

IMG_0502.JPG

It’s easy from there to pop the old seal and replace it with a new one.

I hope this helps someone else out that looked at this and put up with it because it looked a pain to do. In the end all up including time for beers and doing the washing this took me under two hours.

Cheers,

Tanis