Sign in to follow this  

I have a burning question

On the new yamahas I have noticed that "the gas cap is gone to prevent gas cap issues"....or whatever. To be quite honest, in my 17 or something years of riding I have never rammed the olson twins into my gas cap. I just don't see how that is possible with the seat angle on some of these bikes. You would really have to make a point of it to come in contact with the gas cap in my opinion. There's really no point to this other than trying to figure out how this would be a problem. Maybe I am wrong but it looks like the yamaha engineers have solved a problem that's never existed. They've done it again. I heard that on the new promo video and thought to myself wait wt...f?! Feel free to chime in. I don't see it though. I'm not trashing the bike at all, its just that the problem they speak of doesn't exist to me. Maybe there's a different reason. Aerodynamics? Lol. Chi?

^^ sorry , I think it depends on rider style

When I had my sx125 i was constantly having it whack me there

No I know that but I just wonder how that's even an issue. I suppose it depends on what bike you're riding because they all have different seat designs. I have never ever had that come even close to happening and I can't say I've ever heard of it. It's a sick bike though.

Lower center of gravity with moving the tank under the seat.  Maybe it also makes it a little slimmer in the tank area.

interesting,but how will that work for fast refueling at harescrambles?

Didn't you read the performance upgrade data sheet, they are so fast now, you will have plenty of time to refuel during a race!

Didn't you read the performance upgrade data sheet, they are so fast now, you will have plenty of time to refuel during a race!

but, but, but, I`ll still be behind the 2strokes.

yea I said it.....

do your worst. :devil:

The cap is pretty easy to remove. The yz450 may be my next ride. That or the new crf, or a 250sx. They are all incredible machines. The yamahas are always the most reliable as far as 4 strokes go. Thought it looked really ugly at first but i like it now. I have a 250f now and I just don't feel the excitement I got from the 250's and the 450s.

With a desert tank on my CR 500, I jumped across a familiar wash one time to see that some rain carved out a new riverbed trail on the other side.. I was headed top of 3rd gear for a cliff that was 18" high!  I pulled the front end up (not hard to do no a 500) and the rear wheel slammed the cliff, sending me over the bars. 

I was thrusted D!CK FIRST into the gas tank.  Smashing your piss line is as painful as crunching your nuts!!  This kid behind me saw the crash, pulled up with me laying on the ground moaning like a wounded animal, he said, "Josh that was sooo awesome!  I saw your rear wheel go higher than your head before you were ejected from the bike!"  Little Danny was just short of saying do it again. 

Honestly, if the gas tank had been flatter and not so exposed, I probably would have hit something else somewhere else on the bike and not injured my manhood.  Ohhh this thought has gone through my heads again and again.  I don't crash like this anymore, I was 19 at the time, but for peace of mind it's good to know that my yogurt slinger is safe and sound.

Edited by LovingOffroadPain

The new redesign involved moving the gas tank back in the frame for better handling (If I remember correctly). Because of the new position of the gas tank the fuel cap had to be moved under the seat. The October 2013 issue of MX Action breaks it all down and explains the technical reasons for it if you're really interested in the matter.

Short version is that the gas cap is under the seat for technical not purely aesthetic reasons.

Well aesthetic reasons aren't really important in my opinion but the statement they made suggested that it was common place to smash your tube steak on the gas cap. I'm sure in some crashes it could happen. I've never done it nor have I done it in a corner or landed on it off a jump. Just kinda weird to me. I'm sure some people have done it but I've never heard of that happening.