Sign in to follow this  

Moto Helmet under $200

Looking for the best bang for buck motocross racing helmet. Needs to be comfortable,plenty of venting and protection, under $200 and very aggressive looking.

Heard lots of good stuff about the fox v1 and v2. Just want to make a list of what I'm going to try before I head to my local store.

Thanks

I have the Fox v2 I've had it for about 2 years. Never gave me any problems. On a hot ride when you get going you can definitely feel the intake/exhaust vents working. I got mine half off but I still think it's worth $200

Edited by five_pointe_o

First, the helmet must fit you.  Then you have choices.  At your price range, those choices are dual density EPS liner or single density EPS liner.  The new Fox V2 has dual density EPS.  More helmets are being made that way, which is good.  Find a dual density EPS lid that fits and buy it.

Of course, $200 is not that much these days.  Equivalent to maybe a new set of tires or almost two tanks of gas in my truck.  Why anyone would budget so low for a helmet is beyond me.  Can't you scrape up a little more and get a VXF-W?

Or, surprised as I was typing this.  Here is the Fox V2.  Video attached as well.  I like that they advertise dual EPS.  More companies will start doing that soon.  And this one is in your price range.  $199.

http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Bolted/detail/Fox-V2-Giant-Helmet/44608/cat760008?defaultColor=003&categoryNavIds=

I'm in the exact same situation.

Had the Thor Quadrant since 2006 and has stood up to countless dritbike and Sledding crashes. Finally after seven years of abuse the visor snaped off 2 weeks after going over the bars on my RM250.

Time for a new one, I know I payed more then $300 for it way back then but now I've seen em for around $160-175.

Also have been looking at the Fox V2, some of them look real BA. Maybe try one of them!

First, the helmet must fit you.  Then you have choices.  At your price range, those choices are dual density EPS liner or single density EPS liner.  The new Fox V2 has dual density EPS.  More helmets are being made that way, which is good.  Find a dual density EPS lid that fits and buy it.

Of course, $200 is not that much these days.  Equivalent to maybe a new set of tires or almost two tanks of gas in my truck.  Why anyone would budget so low for a helmet is beyond me.  Can't you scrape up a little more and get a VXF-W?

Or, surprised as I was typing this.  Here is the Fox V2.  Video attached as well.  I like that they advertise dual EPS.  More companies will start doing that soon.  And this one is in your price range.  $199.

http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Bolted/detail/Fox-V2-Giant-Helmet/44608/cat760008?defaultColor=003&categoryNavIds=

+1 on the Fox V2. For under $200 you will be hard pressed to find a better helmet. I have good (crashing) experience with Fox helmets and have never had a concussion in one which I can't say for some other brands.

• Like 1

+1 on the Fox V2. For under $200 you will be hard pressed to find a better helmet. I have good (crashing) experience with Fox helmets and have never had a concussion in one which I can't say for some other brands.

Hmmm Good to know

I think that as long as a helmet has a DOT and SNELL rating, its good.

Funny, I used to think the same thing. Those standards measure helmet performance at the extreme. Meaning if you crash and your head goes from 17 mph or so to zero in a few milliseconds they will limit the g force transfer to your skull to barely survivable levels. Never walk away levels. You are going to the hospital if you test those limits. Helmets that provide more progressive shock absorption below that extreme also carry DOT stickers. All helmets sold in the US do. Some carry Snell stickers, too. The ones that carry Snell 2005 are harder than those carrying Snell 2010. Some DOT and some DOT/Snell 2010 certified helmets have dual layer EPS, which absorbs impact energy below the extreme better, reducing your risk of concussion in a more typical crash while still protecting you at the extreme. Some DOT/Snell 2010 helmets have single density EPS, which is better than nothing, but not good for any crash you are likely to have. The best helmet for impact protection in our sport does not carry a Snell sticker.

Funny, I used to think the same thing. Those standards measure helmet performance at the extreme. Meaning if you crash and your head goes from 17 mph or so to zero in a few milliseconds they will limit the g force transfer to your skull to barely survivable levels. Never walk away levels. You are going to the hospital if you test those limits. Helmets that provide more progressive shock absorption below that extreme also carry DOT stickers. All helmets sold in the US do. Some carry Snell stickers, too. The ones that carry Snell 2005 are harder than those carrying Snell 2010. Some DOT and some DOT/Snell 2010 certified helmets have dual layer EPS, which absorbs impact energy below the extreme better, reducing your risk of concussion in a more typical crash while still protecting you at the extreme. Some DOT/Snell 2010 helmets have single density EPS, which is better than nothing, but not good for any crash you are likely to have. The best helmet for impact protection in our sport does not carry a Snell sticker.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

I will be doing jumping/racing, so just whatever will protect my head!!

Dragon do you think these 3 are solid choices?

One gamma

Fly f2

Fox v2

I know the fox v2 is dual esp but are the other two? What's your thoughts on the "one gamma" and "fly f2"

Edited by Austrianbloodline

One gamma

Fly f2

Fox v2

I know the fox v2 is dual esp but are the other two? What's your thoughts on the "one gamma" and "fly f2"

seems like Dragon is our new helmet consultant....thanks for the education, I have a crappy HJC (and 2 kids under 8) I also will be buying a dual density ...pretty sure it'll be the gamma

One gamma

Fly f2

Fox v2

Fly F2 Carbon is dual EPS. That was my choice as it fit me the best and it's light. Found one on closeout at RM for $159 http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/-/440/713/-/32785/Fly-Racing-F2-Carbon-Dragon-Helmet

just bought the new fly kinetic inversion i love it, its comfy and have good venting it was a hundred bucks good price and good helmet i would highly recommend it.