My Z hit the trails with 7 pumpkins!

Well last weekend I hit the trails with the Z for the first time.  We hit some fresh cut, motorcycle only, 28” trails in northern Michigan. 

First lesson learned…… my handle bars are stock and measure 32”.  If you do the math I had some challenges and some tree material imbedded in the plastic of my bark busters.

Second lesson learned….. those neat little rubber inserts that the put in the foot pegs for comfy street riding…….. REMOVE THEM!!!  My feet blew off the pegs more times than I can count making holding on very difficult.  If fact, some aftermarket larger pegs will be on my list of things to do.

Third lesson learned….. Run 100% dirt tire.  Like I mentioned the trails were fresh cut.  Only a year, maybe two old and very, very sandy which is to be expected in northern Michigan.  The bike wore me out trying to keep it between the trees.  No fault to the bike, but the lack of traction.  I’m running Dunlop 606.  They aren’t a bad tire, just not great for the loose stuff.  So I’ll probably be in the market for another set of rims/tires for the street.

Overall….. man I love this bike!  I put it in second and just torqued my way everywhere with only a few shifts into first.  It’s weight shows up occasionally but it really isn’t bad for being able to ride it to work and go straight to the trails.  I’ve said it before but can’t reiterate that I should have bought one of these 10 years ago.  To put it in perspective I was riding with experienced trail riders all on KTM’s.  Seven of them in fact ranging in size from 200 to 525’s.  I had a tough time keeping them in my sights and maintaining control in the tight stuff, but when we got on to the 50” ORV they couldn’t shake me.

Day two had a different ending.  It rained all night in large quantities.  When we hit the trails the next morning I was pleased to find the best soil condition you could ask for.  Not, muddy or sloppy, jut the perfect blend of riding tacky soil.  The Z really shined.  It hooked up, tracked perfect and I was able to keep pace with the KTM’s in the 28” trails.  The Dunlop’s seemed like a MX tire in the moist goodness.  Until…….. a tree laid diagonal across the trail.  It, grabbed my front tire, shot me up an embankment, tossed me like a sack of taters, and flipped the Z upside down landing on the right handle bar end.  If you ever find your Z in this type of scenario, take a deep breath and eat your Wheaties.  After up righting I immediately noticed something amiss with my handle bars and slowed my forward progress down…… I’ll be getting new ones.

I thought I would share my experience to maybe help clear the waters with somebody looking to buy a Z but not sure if they should take the plunge.  I really couldn’t ask for a better do all motorcycle.  My advice, jump off the fence and buy it!

Here are a few photos from the weekend.

6ub9.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

n4xy.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

uuqr.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

0jnz.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

Edited by mxfever090

Glad you're liking the Z in the dirt.

I often ride with 2T & 4T pumpkins and never feel under pressure by them, the pace is generally quick. No doubt it'd be different on a track or enduro course.

I have ridden with many people on many bikes and have the following observations:

Many people under-estimate the Z.

Many riders' bikes are well ahead of their ability.

A better rider makes more difference than a better bike. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrzDick

Well last weekend I hit the trails with the Z for the first time.  We hit some fresh cut, motorcycle only, 28” trails in northern Michigan. 

First lesson learned…… my handle bars are stock and measure 32”.  If you do the math I had some challenges and some tree material imbedded in the plastic of my bark busters.

Second lesson learned….. those neat little rubber inserts that the put in the foot pegs for comfy street riding…….. REMOVE THEM!!!  My feet blew off the pegs more times than I can count making holding on very difficult.  If fact, some aftermarket larger pegs will be on my list of things to do.

Third lesson learned….. Run 100% dirt tire.  Like I mentioned the trails were fresh cut.  Only a year, maybe two old and very, very sandy which is to be expected in northern Michigan.  The bike wore me out trying to keep it between the trees.  No fault to the bike, but the lack of traction.  I’m running Dunlop 606.  They aren’t a bad tire, just not great for the loose stuff.  So I’ll probably be in the market for another set of rims/tires for the street.

Overall….. man I love this bike!  I put it in second and just torqued my way everywhere with only a few shifts into first.  It’s weight shows up occasionally but it really isn’t bad for being able to ride it to work and go straight to the trails.  I’ve said it before but can’t reiterate that I should have bought one of these 10 years ago.  To put it in perspective I was riding with experienced trail riders all on KTM’s.  Seven of them in fact ranging in size from 200 to 525’s.  I had a tough time keeping them in my sights and maintaining control in the tight stuff, but when we got on to the 50” ORV they couldn’t shake me.

Day two had a different ending.  It rained all night in large quantities.  When we hit the trails the next morning I was pleased to find the best soil condition you could ask for.  Not, muddy or sloppy, jut the perfect blend of riding tacky soil.  The Z really shined.  It hooked up, tracked perfect and I was able to keep pace with the KTM’s in the 28” trails.  The Dunlop’s seemed like a MX tire in the moist goodness.  Until…….. a tree laid diagonal across the trail.  It, grabbed my front tire, shot me up an embankment, tossed me like a sack of taters, and flipped the Z upside down landing on the right handle bar end.  If you ever find your Z in this type of scenario, take a deep breath and eat your Wheaties.  After up righting I immediately noticed something amiss with my handle bars and slowed my forward progress down…… I’ll be getting new ones.

I thought I would share my experience to maybe help clear the waters with somebody looking to buy a Z but not sure if they should take the plunge.  I really couldn’t ask for a better do all motorcycle.  My advice, jump off the fence and buy it!

Here are a few photos from the weekend.

6ub9.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

n4xy.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

uuqr.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

0jnz.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

If you're looking for a good dirt tire, try the Dunlop MX51's....120-90-18 and 80-100-21......they work really good in the conditions you describe.  :smirk:

If you're looking for a good dirt tire, try the Dunlop MX51's....120-90-18 and 80-100-21......they work really good in the conditions you describe.  :smirk:

+1 for the MX51's, the front I put on was way better than the 606 I started out with. 

Im running 100% dirt tires, forgot the model, DURO something, and I can say I never felt any traction loss, on the contrary, I was really surprised.

My first time at dirt riding, looking at some rocky hill, and even some pure dirt hills, and as a first timer I just thought "Theres no way im climbing this.. rear wheel probably going to lose traction very fast and I'm on the floor..."

Despite my thoughts, I just started going up slowly, and was surprised I did not lose any traction, bike just kept going without any effort and I felt like my bike was laughing at me and saying "what a &%$#@! :D"

I just hope you did not forget to set your tire pressure to dirt riding before going in.

+1 for the MX51's, the front I put on was way better than the 606 I started out with. 

Every bike I rode with was running Michellin Cross Competition S12 but I'm not opposed to running something different.  I'll look into it more when I'me ready to get some new skin but thanks for the suggestion!

Im running 100% dirt tires, forgot the model, DURO something, and I can say I never felt any traction loss, on the contrary, I was really surprised.

My first time at dirt riding, looking at some rocky hill, and even some pure dirt hills, and as a first timer I just thought "Theres no way im climbing this.. rear wheel probably going to lose traction very fast and I'm on the floor..."

Despite my thoughts, I just started going up slowly, and was surprised I did not lose any traction, bike just kept going without any effort and I felt like my bike was laughing at me and saying "what a &%$#@! :D"

I just hope you did not forget to set your tire pressure to dirt riding before going in.

You know I would make this lesson number 4 learned.  Rim locks!  I don't have any and didn't want to air down too much and spin the rim.   I went down to around 12 in the rear and marked the rim/tire with a paint stick before we started and it spun about half an inch.  So rim locks will also be on my list of things to get.

I rode the Z to work today and realized about half way in that I forgot to put my mirrors back on :eek:   I'll chalk that up as lesson learned and will be taking dirt roads home.

Edited by mxfever090