Gearing, Speed, Power, RPM...Blah Blah Blah

So on a 250f some people say a faster rider can use taller gearing because he is carrying more speed.  But, does speed have anything to do with it?  I mean, in alot of places on a moto track you are carrying speed without your RPM's being high.  It's the speed of the engine that counts, not the speed of the bike...right?

So on a 250f some people say a faster rider can use taller gearing because he is carrying more speed.  But, does speed have anything to do with it?  I mean, in alot of places on a moto track you are carrying speed without your RPM's being high.  It's the speed of the engine that counts, not the speed of the bike...right?

No...   Contrary to popular belief, you dont need to ride a bike on its rev limiter to go fast.......

A faster rider can run taller gearing because he is carrying more bike speed through corners. That means he doesnt need the bike to be geared down where it will accelerate harder because he is already up to speed. Taller gearing will let him go faster, but if you screw up a corner it will be harder to get back up to speed quickly.  Carrying speed and momentum is about being smooth, picking good lines, and not dropping the clutch and point and shoot style riding.

Here is the deal... On smaller bore, high revving standard motocross bikes like 125/144 and 250F's, you do need to be at the top of the rev range to get optimal power delivery. The lower the RPM's, the more you will be relying on the motors mid-range to get you around the track, practically lugging the machine around. That technique will slow you down eventually because there will be obstacles out of corners which will require max power to clear and you'll be in the wrong gear.

Finding the proper final drive is dependent on the machine. But I gear my bikes so they're 3rd, 4th, 5th machines and if I need an over-drive I also have a 6th gear. I find 1st and 2nd to be too short and too close to that neutral gate, one false move in 2nd gear and the thing could easily go into neutral, though I do start in 2nd. I like riding my 250F like a 125, closer to the top end of the machine, using the clutch to help generate drive if necessary and constantly shifting. It makes the rider more active and also helps deliver quicker times because you're using more of the motor to its fullest potential.

The key to speed, as far as I can tell is, momentum. Whatever you gotta do to keep up the flow do it. there are second gear corners, first gear corners 3rd gear corners etc. Remember that smooth is fast most of the time. try to avoid bogging down the motor with to tall of a gear. I try to work on this every time I ride.