426 to 450

The 450 cylinder head will not bolt onto a 426, but as I recall, you can actually install the 450 head and cylinder together on the 426.  Then, you have to ask yourself why you would do that.  The 426 and 450 have the same bore size, so the engine will still be a 426 unless you change the stroke.

Way too much money to put into a 426 when you could just go buy an older 450 for under 2K.

• Like 1

Yes, but the 450 top end won't get you what you want.  Even if it works, it will still be a 426 unless you step up to a new crankshaft.  All that for 24cc? 

If 450 parts will fit the possibilities are endless, there are so many big bore and stroker combinations available. Who is gonna step up and try fitting a  450 crank, cylinder and head with 426 cases? Id love to try it if someone donates some used parts, I have a 426 to try it in and tons of spare parts to experiment with.

Edited by jojo1224

If 450 parts will fit the possibilities are endless, there are so many big bore and stroker combinations available. Who is gonna step up and try fitting a 450 crank, cylinder and head with 426 cases? Id love to try it if someone donates some used parts, I have a 426 to try it in and tons of spare parts to experiment with.

I do to now that i can no longer ride, so it looks like it might be tinker time.

I found this just by doing a quick google search.

this cylinder is very different . it will bolt down to the block but you will not be able to put your 6mm bolt in the bottom. the stroke of the two motors are different by 3mm and the 426 engine is a physically larger engine. we built one engine for a houser chassis built for a 426. we used a 450 bike crank cylinder and head left the little bolt out and built custom gear for the counter balance but i dont think you could use the cylinder without the head and with the bores being the same there would be no gain. hope this helps .

From here: http://www.atvriders.com/vbb/printthread.php?s=adb7ffe622906958eb5d81df5eb33580&threadid=384789

• 4 weeks later...

Well I guess its time to start on my 426 - 450 hybrid. Broke the connecting rod today in my yz426f at about 10k rpm in 5th. Took out valves, cylinder, piston, cases and crank. Had about 25 hrs runtime on a complete rebuild. Versah rod broke broke at the small end, must be a manufacturing defect because you can see where it has been slowly cracking.