Newbie to forum question

I'm Kurt and I'm a 450x rider.......

Not AA but close with my newfound addiction to this bike!

I'm sure this is a real newbie question but I got a 05 450x a couple months ago. It runs great but I want to change the oil and clean her up. On the clean up side, what do you folks recommend for the plastic? It's a bit scuffed up but I'm wondering if there's anything special or products you recommend to first maybe sandm off the scuff marks and second, I'd like to shine that plastic up and maybe wax it? Or is there a better formula for bringing out the shine?

As for the oil change, how often do I need to change the oil filter? I plan to do it this time because I'm not certain how long the current one has been in there. Also, is there any reason to get a whiz bang oil filter or does a std oem do the job at the least cost. I figure why spend a lot on a trick filter if you change it pretty often?

I've been reading through the thousands of posts here and am really learning a lot.

Thanks

Kurt

On the filter, I change mine every time I change the oil.  I don't use the OEM, the cheapest I found is $6.50.   Tusk's are similar to OEM and are only $3.45.  At that price, I change it every time.  Usually run 10-15 hours between changes.

Don't have anything to offer on the plastic.  I wash my bikes a lot and things are still pretty shinney (at least enough for me anyway).

Jim.

On the Plastic, give it a good cleaning with Simple Green or S-100 (aka HondaBrite) and then give it a coat of Maxima SC1. It'll look like new.

On the filters, OEM are good as are K&N, Hi-Flo, NAM etc. I don't use Tusk stuff, so I can't opine on them. I change them everytime.

What Jim said.

I change my oil 10-15 too.

I buy cheap oil filters in bulk.

I wash with 'car wash pink soap' (chemical brothers) after every ride, quick towel dry while it's idling, air compressor on all the moving mechanics, WD-40 on the same every now and then, WD-40 the chain (running, in gear, on the stand) then coat the chain with Chain Wax, and a coat of SC-1 detail spray on the plastics every now and then.

Make sure you properly oil you air filters (fully oiled, then remove excess).

I use OEM filters and change them every 5-6 oil changes...however I change my oil in both sides every 1-2 rides depending on how hard I beat on it. I run rotella-t in both sides and its cheap enough I can afford to change it that often. Plus I have a diesel truck so I always have it on hand.

I use OEM filters and change them every 5-6 oil changes...however I change my oil in both sides every 1-2 rides depending on how hard I beat on it. I run rotella-t in both sides and its cheap enough I can afford to change it that often. Plus I have a diesel truck so I always have it on hand.

Do you find your filters collapsing after that much time?

Nope, I have yet to see any deflection in the filter media

So, you are wanting the pop-off filter by-pass to engage then I guess? 

That long of an interval is absolutely dropping your oil pressure.... unless you ride in a dust free area 100% of the time...

So, you are wanting the pop-off filter by-pass to engage then I guess? 

That long of an interval is absolutely dropping your oil pressure.... unless you ride in a dust free area 100% of the time...

False

Thanks boys. I'm sure more q's to come on all sorts of other things!

False

Exactly what is false?  There is a pressure release valve.  If the oil filter becomes plugged, it will open and bypass the lubrication system by dumping oil under the left crank case cover.   In fact I think it's an extremely bad design.   A plugged filter should simply be bypassed and allow unfiltered oil to flow through the rest of the system.   That's not what happens here.  Oil by-passes the entire system when the filter becomes plugged.  Certainly un-filtered oil is better then no oil.   I'd doubt however the oil filter would ever become totally plugged, but still, not  a good design.

On the other hand, letting unfiltered oil run through the system might not be so great either because it would be easy for one of the oil jets to become plugged.

Anyway, with all that said, both the competition and non-competition maintenance schedules call for replacing the filter at every oil change, which is 15 hours. 

Every 5-6 rides seems a bit to long, but that would depend on how long you ride.

But certainly more frequent filter changes is going to make your engine last longer and give you better flow then not.

Jim.

Exactly what is false?  There is a pressure release valve.  If the oil filter becomes plugged, it will open and bypass the lubrication system by dumping oil under the left crank case cover.   In fact I think it's an extremely bad design.   A plugged filter should simply be bypassed and allow unfiltered oil to flow through the rest of the system.   That's not what happens here.  Oil by-passes the entire system when the filter becomes plugged.  Certainly un-filtered oil is better then no oil.   I'd doubt however the oil filter would ever become totally plugged, but still, not  a good design.

On the other hand, letting unfiltered oil run through the system might not be so great either because it would be easy for one of the oil jets to become plugged.

Anyway, with all that said, both the competition and non-competition maintenance schedules call for replacing the filter at every oil change, which is 15 hours. 

Every 5-6 rides seems a bit to long, but that would depend on how long you ride.

But certainly more frequent filter changes is going to make your engine last longer and give you better flow then not.

Jim.

That's just crazy talk.

Why change your filter to protect a $4,800.00 motor when you can save $ 3.50 ??

Edited by Krannie

That's just crazy talk.

Yeah, I guess you can call me crazy, but my Leprechaun has informed me that I'm running through my pot-of-gold a little too fast lately.

Jim.

It's a dirt bike it is not supposed to be "shiny" clean yes, shiny no.

S-100 cannot be beat as far as ease of use and function go. Nothing works as good as S-100, nothing.

My take on the oil filter issue is this.

I use a Scotts stainless (NOT ANY OTHER BRAND) I take it out and inspect about every third oil change, I will usually blast it with carb spray and compressed air, or just put it back in.

Scotts stainless filters are make by K&P Engineering they are a wonderful product.

http://www.kandpengineering.com/

If the Scotts was not available I would use OEM and change it every other oil change.

Hard to beat the Scotts stainless though, they will filter out anything large enough to cause a problem, and they flow oil way better than stock.

It's a dirt bike it is not supposed to be "shiny" clean yes, shiny no.

S-100 cannot be beat as far as ease of use and function go. Nothing works as good as S-100, nothing.

My take on the oil filter issue is this.

I use a Scotts stainless (NOT ANY OTHER BRAND) I take it out and inspect about every third oil change, I will usually blast it with carb spray and compressed air, or just put it back in.

Scotts stainless filters are make by K&P Engineering they are a wonderful product.

http://www.kandpengineering.com/

If the Scotts was not available I would use OEM and change it every other oil change.

Hard to beat the Scotts stainless though, they will filter out anything large enough to cause a problem, and they flow oil way better than stock.

+1 on the Scotts filter

That's just crazy talk.

I don't know because maybe my rides are on average to around 3-4 hours of actual motor run time? And the oil gets changed every ride or so? So call me crazy but I'm still falling in the recommended change interval, maybe a little over. With that being said, even if I were to put 30hrs on the motor before changing the filter I highly doubt I'm going to plug the filter to a point it has to bypass.

I've often seen filters that have collapsed indicating the fact they have plugged and the pressure is warping the filter media.

Most have reported only having them in there for 8-10 hours, but their oil is pitch black and thick.

No way to tell how many hours they actually have been in use...

I could believe that, however I'm running new oil just about every ride