Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust for top end power

I've got a 2012 CRF450X and I have it geared tall (14/48) for Baja. I'm looking for an exhaust that will give me more top end power to help me hit those higher speeds faster. Any suggestions? 

For more top end, you need a shorter header like one from a crf450r 2005, but the best mod is an R camshaft like the 2002 crf450r

I've got a 2012 CRF450X and I have it geared tall (14/48) for Baja. I'm looking for an exhaust that will give me more top end power to help me hit those higher speeds faster. Any suggestions? 

Geared tall??? Are you talking about riding Baja or racing Baja??

14/48 won't cut it for racing Baja...you'll need 15/47 to race it. Consequently, you'll need a whole bunch more power than your stock X will make to pull 15/47 gearing.

14/48 is everyday gearing for us...

Yes for racing Baja. 14/48 is what JCR Honda sets their bikes up for when building costumers bikes for Baja racing. I've talked with them a bunch over the past few months on how to setup my bike properly. My goal is to finish the 1000, not trying to take podium. 

Yes for racing Baja. 14/48 is what JCR Honda sets their bikes up for when building costumers bikes for Baja racing. I've talked with them a bunch over the past few months on how to setup my bike properly. My goal is to finish the 1000, not trying to take podium. 

Edited by RyGuy85

You can say that again...not that it means anything to you but I run 13-51,52,53 in Michigan...tops out around 80-85 with the 51t and about 65 with the 53t

You can say that again...not that it means anything to you but I run 13-51,52,53 in Michigan...tops out around 80-85 with the 51t and about 65 with the 53t

Yeeeaaah,,, you can't get to 80 mph with 13/53 or 52, or 51... in the dirt. Maybe 65.

Yeeeaaah,,, you can't get to 80 mph with 13/53 or 52, or 51... in the dirt. Maybe 65.

Yeeeeaaahhhh you can't get 80 with a 13-53 that's why I said I was hitting 80 with a 13-51, and yes you can get 80 on the dirt with that set up

While you might be able to 'get to' 80mph with 13/51, you can't ride it there for more than a few seconds because of the rpm and the danger of valve float, so it's not a usable number. 

It takes 14/50 to get to 80 +  

It takes 15/50 to get to 90 + , and really needs more power to pull it well

It takes 15/47 to get to 100+, and REQUIRES  additional power mods to the motor or you can't use 5th anywhere but flat ground.

Edited by Krannie

Which Pro Circuit would you recommend/use? Thinking either the T4 or T5 JCR exhaust system. 

I run the T4, but either will serve you well...the whole T5 system is better but much pricier.

While you might be able to 'get to' 80mph with 13/51, you can't ride it there for more than a few seconds because of the rpm and the danger of valve float, so it's not a usable number. 

It takes 14/50 to get to 80 +  

It takes 15/50 to get to 90 + , and really needs more power to pull it well

It takes 15/47 to get to 100+, and REQUIRES  additional power mods to the motor or you can't use 5th anywhere but flat ground.

I'm in Michigan and ride tight single track, or East Coast Mountain riding, there are not many places you are going to hit 80mph...hence why I said top out at 80mph.  I dont have endless miles of open track to ride at sustained high speeds...sustained high speeds for me are around 45-50mph with a few stretches were you can top out...and that is flying

I'm in Michigan and ride tight single track, or East Coast Mountain riding, there are not many places you are going to hit 80mph...hence why I said top out at 80mph.  I dont have endless miles of open track to ride at sustained high speeds...sustained high speeds for me are around 45-50mph with a few stretches were you can top out...and that is flying

No shit. I visit those places but don't have the ball's to liver there, like CRF Doc does.

• Like 1

I ordered the T4 JCR replica tonight. I'll do a follow up once I get it installed and take it for a ride.

They come with inserts to be able to ' tune ' the pipe to suit you . I received 2 inserts ... I modified one of the inserts ( made it less restrictive ) .

I use the recommended jetting spec .

If you are pitting with JCR as well dont they only deal with ProCircuit? Unless that has changed.

Pro Circuit T4 is what they run, yes. It just wasn't very easy finding one that's for sale. Seems those are in very high demand. 

Wanted to give you guys an update. Ordered the T4, got it installed and jetted last week in time for the weekend and WOW. HUGE difference it makes. Everytime I rip the throttle now either the front tire is off the ground or the back tire breaks loose, no bogging down at all!