Sign in to follow this  

2013 CRF450 Suspension

I have ridden Kawis my whole life and recently made the switch to the new 2013 crf450. I love the bike but cant seem to get the suspension dialed in. I wanna get some feedback before i have it all revalved. I had the right springs put in but i cant seem to figure it out.

190 pound A/B rider 

the shock is good, the front forks are the problem (so it seems) the valving is to soft, to keep the forks useable in the rough stuff you have to add psi, but this keeps the forks high in the stroke and a rough mid stroke. to fix that you run lower psi, it makes the fork smooth and eats up the small stuff but than it sucks int he big stuff

revavle is what you need, only so much you can do with clickers and psi changes. with stiffer valves and lower air pressure you will get the best of both worlds and it will settle in the corners better as well.

the shock is good, the front forks are the problem (so it seems) the valving is to soft, to keep the forks useable in the rough stuff you have to add psi, but this keeps the forks high in the stroke and a rough mid stroke. to fix that you run lower psi, it makes the fork smooth and eats up the small stuff but than it sucks int he big stuff

revavle is what you need, only so much you can do with clickers and psi changes. with stiffer valves and lower air pressure you will get the best of both worlds and it will settle in the corners better as well.

Thats the exact issue! I guess ill go ahead and get the revalve done than thanks!

• Like 1

The best diy fix i have heard of so far is replacing the damper fluid with thicker 7 or 10wt fork oil. But I dont know anyone who has done this yet.

glad i could help.

I've had mine revalved,stock & revalved I lowered the oil to 220ccc down from stock 240/revalve level 230 added 1/2 -1 psi over listed air pressure for my lbs.I run 36-36.5 psi 225-230 with gear.Lowering the oil made the midstroke plusher than before, slight harsh spike before lowering the oil with the revalve.The air forks cr or kx seem to work/ feel better if your a 190+ rider.Mine feel as good or better than my 2010 yzf450.Coppersmith has spring/ohlins cartridge kits ,$1295 it's only money, a lot of money, good luck.

Edited by galligar

I'm looking into getting a revalve as well. I weigh about 215 with gear on and I still have the stock spring in the rear which is obviously too soft so that needs to be taken care of. I run 37psi in the forks which helps on small jumps but on bigger stuff, it still blows through the stroke. I also get a ton of feedback in braking bumps and such. I love my bike but the more I ride it, the more I dislike the suspension. Hopefully a factory connection revalve will fix that!

My buddy Mike had his suspension revalved by FC and he loves it. Maybe just the forks, I forget, hopefully he'll chime in and give an update...

Edited by Eddie8v

FC did mine as well ,6.1 on the shock, just had fork &shock serviced and updated, really good, took 10cc out even better. I like the oil under 230cc with the stiffer valving.