Sign in to follow this  

Chain Adjustment after 13t Front Sprocket

So I finally bit the bullet and bought the 13th front sprocket. I have yet to install it yet but hope to this weekend.

How much slack should I leave in the chain? Do I need to remove a link? Do I need to be seated on the bike and have someone else measure freeplay?

Thanks!

• Like 2

No need to remove the link and YES it adjusts out to the red but not a problem--I LOVE mine finely 6th gear is usable--Honda says leave an inch and a half drop in the middle--I left just a little less myself--ENJOY

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 2

Have been riding for a long time with mine out at the limit, just last weekend took out  the links and added a masterlink. Will not be going to a 42, very happy with my 13/40 setup, and it is fast!

BTW, shorter chain, shorter wheelbase, man does she turn quick! hahahahahaha

• Like 2

So my 13tooth sprocket is installed but I'm at a standstill and need your help. I've tightened the chain with 1.5 inches of slack while it's on the sidestand.

My Axle is even on both sides however, when I sit on the bike and touch the chain it's super tight.

Like hardly wiggles kind of tight. Is that normal? It seems good on the stand but I don't want to drive it with the chain too tight.

I'm on the 2nd circle on the bottom of axle blocks from the front of the bike and according to the sticker it's not even in the red.

Help me please?

Thats where mine is as far as being kind of tight when sitting on it --depends what your preload is really mine is as low as i can get it maybe 3 threads left--

So my 13tooth sprocket is installed but I'm at a standstill and need your help. I've tightened the chain with 1.5 inches of slack while it's on the sidestand.

My Axle is even on both sides however, when I sit on the bike and touch the chain it's super tight.

Like hardly wiggles kind of tight. Is that normal? It seems good on the stand but I don't want to drive it with the chain too tight.

I'm on the 2nd circle on the bottom of axle blocks from the front of the bike and according to the sticker it's not even in the red.

Help me please?

I adjust mine on the stand and leave it looser than spec. And then sit on it and shoot for the 1.5" slack. The slack is meant for riding conditions, and that means your weight on the bike. With this philosophy chain stretch is minimal.

• Like 2

Help me please?

okay here is how it works ..... the reason you make sure to have the slack up on the stand is so it will not be too tight and stretch when you are riding the trails .... any long travel bike will need this slack ... so yes it will feel much tighter when you are on the bike ... now just imagine how tight it will get when you land from a little jump ? .... this is why you need the proper slack. 

I know that if you adjust your chain and within a couple weeks you think it is loose again .... you went too tight. The chain will either stretch or break if you make it too tight. 

The chain should seem too loose to you if you are new to off road. And if it is too loose .... you will know !!! 

• Like 2

okay here is how it works ..... the reason you make sure to have the slack up on the stand is so it will not be too tight and stretch when you are riding the trails .... any long travel bike will need this slack ... so yes it will feel much tighter when you are on the bike ... now just imagine how tight it will get when you land from a little jump ? .... this is why you need the proper slack. 

I know that if you adjust your chain and within a couple weeks you think it is loose again .... you went too tight. The chain will either stretch or break if you make it too tight. 

The chain should seem too loose to you if you are new to off road. And if it is too loose .... you will know !!! 

And with ALL those tools Honda gave us in our tool kit it will be so much FUN to fix--NOT :p :p :p:cry:

• Like 1

At the tightest point in suspension travel chain should still have 1/2-3/4 play in it.  If it's tight sitting on the bike, in neutral, it's too tight.  A happy chain smiles.

• Like 2

And with ALL those tools Honda gave us in our tool kit it will be so much FUN to fix--NOT :p :p :p:cry:

Tools ..... what are these tools you speak of ....  :excuseme:

:moon:

• Like 2

Tools ..... what are these tools you speak of ....  :excuseme:

:moon:

Those two wonderfull china made allen wrenches they "gave" us :cry: :cry: --100 miles from nowhere out of cell phone range you can sharpen them on a rock and cut your wrists with them cause Help isn't coming Bubba!!

• Like 3

Those two wonderfull china made allen wrenches they "gave" us :cry: :cry: --100 miles from nowhere out of cell phone range you can sharpen them on a rock and cut your wrists with them cause Help isn't coming Bubba!!

I know .... that's why I may add a fender kit and hope I never need it ...  :p

• Like 3