Sign in to follow this  

New Member Jetting Kit Questions

Hey everyone,

I bought a '03 XR650L about a week ago. It's the first bike I've ever owned, and so far it's been awesome. However, I know there is some more power in there somewhere. 

At low to mid range there is a little bit of a sputter,and at cruising speed there is a hesitation and surge. I've done a lot of reading, and it sounds like the bike is running lean. The bike came with a few modifications done already: desmogged, snorkel gone, foam filter, and I haven't taken a peek inside the carb yet, but I suspect there may be some modifications done in there since the mixture screw has been changed.

I plan on doing Dave's mods, and instead of buying a kit, I tried sourcing the parts around town, which turned out to be a nightmare. So, plan B is to just buy a jetting kit online. I have found a few jetting kits, but in their description there isn't a lot of information about the size of the included jets.

My question is: What are the names of some good jetting kits with specifications close to the ones recommended in Dave's mods?

I will be doing most of my riding between 340-500 metres (1100-1650 ft) above sea level

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Riley

Do not use DynoJet.

Factory Pro has a good jet kit with four main jets, one pilot jet, a needle with grooves so that you can easily move it up or down without using washers for shims, and replacement screws that use an allen wrench instead of the Phillips screws that alway strip.  Factory Pro recommends pretty much the same things as Dave's Mod minus drilling out the carburetor slide with bigger holes.

I was going to mention Moose Racing, but they offer a DynoJet kit, so I can't recommend them.

Do not use DynoJet.

Factory Pro has a good jet kit with four main jets, one pilot jet, a needle with grooves so that you can easily move it up or down without using washers for shims, and replacement screws that use an allen wrench instead of the Phillips screws that alway strip. Factory Pro recommends pretty much the same things as Dave's Mod minus drilling out the carburetor slide with bigger holes.

I was going to mention Moose Racing, but they offer a DynoJet kit, so I can't recommend them.

Ok, so what's the problem with a Dynojet kit?

I checked out the Factory Pro kit, and it looks pretty awesome. I like that it comes with multiple main jets and replacement screws. Do you know what size jets come with it? Also, It says that drilling the slide is not necessary, but what if it's done anyways?

DynoJet uses different number for their jet sides than any of the carburetor manufacturers use.  Plus there are lots of stories on various motorcycle forums about people having problems getting their bikes to run correctly after installing DynoJet kits.

Factory Pro doesn't recommend drilling the slide, but go ahead and do it if you want.  It changes how quickly the slide opens when you whack open the throttle.  I didn't drill mine because you can't "undrill" it if you don't like the change.

The kit you want is CRB-H74-1.1-Ti which shows up on this page: http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodh74.html

I'll have to go dig mine out to get the jet sizes, but it covers the range you'll need.

Edited by ScottRNelson