2005 RM250 Rebuild Break-in

Hey new to ThumperTalk but not to riding.

Finally decided to rebuild the top end of my 05 after having it for just over a year and was wondring what I should do for the first couple of rides?

Should i just bog it for the first tank full or vary the rpms?

I know I probably shouldn't scream the piss out of it right away but was wondering if there are certain break-in techniques that people use.

Thanks

"Yah Dirtbikings Sick"

this is my technique:

1. on the first start. start the bike, let it warm up by itself make sure coolant levels are good etc.. I don't even touch the throttle.

i let it completely warm up and turn it off.

2. wait for the bike to cool 100%. than next start up, warm up the bike 100% without reving. than ride it in the yard going threw the gears throughout the RPM range, and downshifting right after. if theres not enough space to go through the gears. just go through second to the top let off the throttle leave the clutch out until its about mid rpms and down shift to first.

3. change oil

4. ride it like usual

5. change oil

my technique.. didn't have a problem with it everyone has there own ways.

Alright Thanks a bunch

Btw by change oil I assume he means engine oil because he's reffering to a f

4t. You dont need to change the oil because its a 2t (obviously).

Fire it up. Warm it up like normal. Letting a two stroke idle in my opinion is never a good idea. I like to rev it a bit, then even more as the motor gets warmer. This keeps the motor running clean, and crisp, and not loading up.Now take the bike for a little ride. Don't beat it, but don't baby it either. Check the bike over for any leaks etc, then shut it off. As it cools down, I like to check it over for anything loose, leaking, or not right. After about 20 minutes, take it for a rip. This time beat on it!!!  Now your motor is broken in.

Hey new to ThumperTalk but not to riding.

Finally decided to rebuild the top end of my 05 after having it for just over a year and was wondring what I should do for the first couple of rides?

Should i just bog it for the first tank full or vary the rpms?

I know I probably shouldn't scream the piss out of it right away but was wondering if there are certain break-in techniques that people use.

Thanks

"Yah Dirtbikings Sick"

I have an 05 rm125 that I can quote exactly what the manual says if you'd like?

that manual is for a new, never fired engine...But go ahead

that manual is for a new, never fired engine...But go ahead

The book actually states what to do if the motor is new "never fired" or if specific parts have been replaced

then start posting.....

then start posting.....

Hella attitude for no reason, but here ya go..

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380720233.061235.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380720246.221958.jpg

Thanks brew

the purpose of break in is to seat the rings in the cylinder. This is done best under a load,

warm up the bike and ride a few laps, after that you are good to go.  I have broken in dozens of motors in every way possible and tobe honest the result is always the same. It runs fine.

People worry to much about break in procedure.  I simply do as i already stated. Seat the rings under a load. And ride. Heat cycles do nothing to seat the rings and is/are a waste of time. It has tobe ridden to seat the rings.

Fyi this is the method i used on my full mod 05 rm250, never a problem

Edited by adam8781

Btw by change oil I assume he means engine oil because he's reffering to a f

4t. You dont need to change the oil because its a 2t (obviously).

eh, i do it in a 2t anyways. :D