Sign in to follow this  

Can someone tell me if I bought the correct fork oil?

I went up to cycle gear and picked up some 5wt fork oil, as I plan to replace the oil, seals, then install a race tech gold valve system.  I didn't realize until I got home that the oil I got was labeled "Harley Davidson Type B."  http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/products/maxima-fork-fluidstd.jpg

The bike I have is a 2007 RMZ-450 with the stock Showa 47mm forks.  Will this oil work properly, or do I need to return it and get the proper oil?  If so, what would the proper oil be?

Will this same oil work as well for my rear shock?  

Yes that is the right fork oil. I use the same stuff. It will not work in the rear shock. You will need to buy 3w or 2.5w shock oil.

It is their low end "oil".

Harley suspension is low tech, a motocross bike I would use quality "fluid". Maxima Racing fluid is the better choice.

I went up to cycle gear and picked up some 5wt fork oil, as I plan to replace the oil, seals, then install a race tech gold valve system. I didn't realize until I got home that the oil I got was labeled "Harley Davidson Type B." http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/products/maxima-fork-fluidstd.jpg

The bike I have is a 2007 RMZ-450 with the stock Showa 47mm forks. Will this oil work properly, or do I need to return it and get the proper oil? If so, what the the proper oil be?

Will this same oil work as well for my rear shock?

Return it. You want maxima blue label, not the green. The green label oil is clear, almost looks like mineral oil. I dont believe it is disigned for moto use.

Probably same oil, different lable and price. I've been using for a long time with fork oil changes once a year and its fine.

They are two very different oils. I believe the green label is designed for street use, does not do as well when temps rise. The green label will work in your forks. But it is not the correct oil. The racing formula has additives to handle the temps and abuse that a motocross fork go through and fork action will be more consistent. Just my 2 cents. I went through this personally about 4 years ago. I have obtained enough speed riding my Honda that I can tell the difference between oils. My slower friends think I am crazy, but I can.

They are two very different oils. I believe the green label is designed for street use, does not do as well when temps rise. The green label will work in your forks. But it is not the correct oil. The racing formula has additives to handle the temps and abuse that a motocross fork go through and fork action will be more consistent. Just my 2 cents. I went through this personally about 4 years ago. I have obtained enough speed riding my Honda that I can tell the difference between oils. My slower friends think I am crazy, but I can.

Maxima's website doesn't make that differentiation... both oils (in the same weight) have the same viscosity and viscosity index.  So either one will perform the same with regard to heat and viscosity break-down.  Granted the racing oil appears to have additional additives.  Honestly I doubt you'd really notice a difference, as long as you change it regularly.  That said, I did buy the racing oil because it was only a few bucks more per bottle.

When assembling the forks I can feel the difference in the amount of friction when running the tubes through the stroke without spring and cartridge installed. The racing fluid is slipperier.

Although many times the fluid with the most additives also wears out faster as it is the additives that degrade.

Either way 20 hours for the aggressive rider.

Go to Verdone's fluid study to get info on heat ability etc.

Choose a fork oil that is a major name brand and one that you can easily get at your local shop. Maxima blue 5 wt. is a good oil or Race Tech super slick is the best but more expensive. What ever fluid you choose stick with it so your feel will be consistent between services every 20-40 hours.

It will work fine. I have used it in forks and shocks, works fine.

Fluid is EXTREMELY important.  Just proper fluid and springs will make a massive difference in your suspension performance, and we'd always recommend proper fluids and spring rates first.

I believe Race Tech fluid is Motorex fluid. Is Motorex fluid the best?

Race Tech fluid is definitely not Motorex fluid.  Race Tech fluid is handled by Spectro, but isn't the same as anything they offer.

As for why is RT fluid the best?

No corners were cut on cost, when re-developed about 2 years ago, it was no matter the cost develop an oil that performs.  I was able to watch over a few of these tests, and a couple of things I saw the RT oil do to outperform other oils were amazing.  A good example, one oil when pushing down on a set of forks was notchy going up and down.  Just changing the oil, the RT oil let them glide freely.  That is traction and consistency on the track.  Also, the amount of time the oil will last before breaking down is important and many other factors to make sure your suspension doesn't fade.

If you care about performance, be very picky about your oil.

Thanks for the clarification Chris.

Spectro is one of the better fluids on the market and I believe higher quality numbers than Motorex.

Is it the best, you know the debate can go on for weeks.

Good on you for choosing quality fluids as you are correct, good fluid is vital.

hi guys need help here on my crf 250l front suspension on how much fluid/oil shoud i put in each pork,.and the only oil they use here in my country is automatic transmision fluid,.is this ok?please help tnx.. :goofy:

hi guys need help here on my crf 250l front suspension on how much fluid/oil shoud i put in each pork,.and the only oil they use here in my country is automatic transmision fluid,.is this ok?please help tnx.. :goofy:

Depends on the ATF, but generally its weight is equivalent to a 10 to 15 wt fork oil... so it works for damper rod forks.  I guess you can also use it in cartridge forks, because I know people use heavier than standard oil (5 wt).  Is it the "best", probably not, but it works.