Sign in to follow this  

1995 kx125 slow oil leak

Bought this bike from a guy who said it was his practice and hair scrambles bike. I think he said it's had the top end rebuilt, and I know it has at least that I can't remember if he said the whole thing was done.

Any way I have this slow-ish leak on what appears to be the right hand side of the motor if you were facing the bars. It seems to be coming from this rubber seal area that I think is the govenor shaft.

I have a picture here, it's kind of dark but if you guys can't see anything I'll take a better one tomorrow.

Also, there is some gooey black stuff in the silencer area, I know that thing probably needs re-packed, but I was reading that this could be an exhaust issue? The guy I bought it from gave me a pipe spring and o ring kit so maybe that with a repack will help it? I checked the coolant and there was no gunk in it.

Talked to a guy when buying my helmet, he said it might just be the seal where the crank case is? Seems like it's coming from where the two engine halfs go together, not top and bottom but side and side, if that makes since. I'm stil a newb to the whole dirtbike engine thing but I have some limited wrenching experience on other things.

Any way here's the pic. Thanks for takin a look. I wanna eventually take this thing to the track for my first time when I get all the gear so I wanna make sure it's "race ready" even if I just practice some first.

IMG_20131001_182134_2531.jpg

Looks like it's a leak somewhere one the side cover, your guess of the govenor shaft is a good one I would suggest pulling the side cover and looking at the seals. It's a easy job and will only cost you one side cover gasket and what ever is the seal that is leaking.

Looks like it's a leak somewhere one the side cover, your guess of the govenor shaft is a good one I would suggest pulling the side cover and looking at the seals. It's a easy job and will only cost you one side cover gasket and what ever is the seal that is leaking.

Cool. I think I found a service or owners manual to the bike online I gotta see if I can find a section on that. Just looking at it like you said it seems like it would be fairly easy, but a first time procedure for me.

Do they use a liquid or an actual gasket? Or both?

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna run the gas out of it then start having a look.

If you take the cover off, get a gasket. I've had issues with gaskets leaking on my bike for some strange reason, so I use yamabond instead of a gasket. I'm pretty anal about my stuff leaking. So I suggest a gasket first on the clutch cover upon reinstalling.

Edited by HolyKaw810

Ok thanks. Definitely got some looking up and researching to do. I was wondering....

How hard would it be to remove basically everything from the frame so I could paint that, and then also take aprt the top end of the engine to inspect it and clean it and everything...

Basically tear the bike down, make sure it's almost good as new, and then put it back together? And where can I go to learn how to do all that? I've been reading bits and pieces of different articles and what not. Definitely a lot to learn but I think I'd like doing it. Once it was finished that is haha

Service manual is your best friend. Word of advice, if you have never done a tear down before, get help from someone who has. And if you do do a tear down, you maybe opening a can of worms you may regret. Cause you may find stuff you will need to replace you did not expect to find. It's good to do a tear down just for that reason, but plan on a decent budget to cover any surprise you do find.

Edited by HolyKaw810

Yeah, Im kind of torn. Because I really want either a wr250r, or a drz400sm to ride on the road as my first street legal bike. But I also wanna race the 125 I have and do this and that to it. But it's all so expensive! I need at least 4k for the drz400 and then still have to get m class license and I gotta get gear to race. Sucks haha it's a money pit but it's so much fun.