02 cr250 hard to start and dies when revved

Ok so I have an 02 cr250 that until today it started first kick every time. I was riding all day yesterday in dusty conditions, took it home, washed it, went to start it up and could not get it started. After finally getting it to start, it idled fine, then as soon as I revved it up, it died out. I tried to restart it several times with no luck..The only time I can get it started now is if i take the plug out, spray it with cleaner, then spray inside the cylinder a bit. kick it a few times with the plug out and then plug it back up. Even then its not an exact science. My spark is outstanding, I cleaned my carb sufficiently (so I thought).  Cleaned and oiled my filter..Nothing is making it kick like it used to. The compression is also outstanding. I dont know where else to do..WTF!?!?! THanks.. :)

Ok so I have an 02 cr250 that until today it started first kick every time. I was riding all day yesterday in dusty conditions, took it home, washed it, went to start it up and could not get it started. After finally getting it to start, it idled fine, then as soon as I revved it up, it died out. I tried to restart it several times with no luck..The only time I can get it started now is if i take the plug out, spray it with cleaner, then spray inside the cylinder a bit. kick it a few times with the plug out and then plug it back up. Even then its not an exact science. My spark is outstanding, I cleaned my carb sufficiently (so I thought). Cleaned and oiled my filter..Nothing is making it kick like it used to. The compression is also outstanding. I dont know where else to do..&%$#@!!?!?! THanks.. :)

what colors your spark plug?

Not really sure of your issue but I wouldn't keep spraying cleaner or ether or anything like that to start it. As far as I know it has no lubrication to it.

when i first took out the plug it was dark and smelled like gas and felt like oil..My problem is that its hard to start, when the day before it was easy as hell. And when it does start, it dies as soon as you rev it

when i first took out the plug it was dark and smelled like gas and felt like oil..My problem is that its hard to start, when the day before it was easy as hell. And when it does start, it dies as soon as you rev it

Only a few things I can think of to check. 2 of which is really doubtful, but I'll mention it anyways. Ya didnt put a filter cover over the filter to wash it? No exhaust plug?  I'd check carb for needing cleaned, maybe check the vent tube on the gas cap for being kinked, or blocked with mud, choke? Very strange that it would act right one day, and act bad after washing.

Edited by wykyd450r

So the problem was a spark plug..popped a new one in and bam, all good.

its kind of habit for me to keep a tested good plug on hand - I have had crap new plugs right out of the box

I love easy fixes!

with that said, you might look into your jetting as it does seem to be running rich.  Starting on first kick, and a fouled spark plug, is an indication of jetting that is on the rich side.... You will gain HP, and a smoother running bike by leaning your bike out a little bit.

Stock Mikuni?

its kind of habit for me to keep a tested good plug on hand - I have had crap new plugs right out of the box

Not a bad Idea..Ill have to get a couple.

Stock Mikuni?

If the mikuni tmx is stock then, yes.

I love easy fixes!

with that said, you might look into your jetting as it does seem to be running rich.  Starting on first kick, and a fouled spark plug, is an indication of jetting that is on the rich side.... You will gain HP, and a smoother running bike by leaning your bike out a little bit.

So your saying turn the air screw out a bit and that should lean it out? Bout how much should I go?

Not a bad Idea..Ill have to get a couple.

If the mikuni tmx is stock then, yes.

So your saying turn the air screw out a bit and that should lean it out? Bout how much should I go?

don't go over 2.5 turns out and the mikunis like to change dramatically with very little temperature change.