Swapping 01 Cr250 Engine Into Newer Frame

I just bought an 01 cr250 knowing that the engine is "better" than the 02 and newer ones. But the handling is awful..So Im thinking of buying a blown up 02 or newer and putting the 01 engine in it. I know its pretty common, but how difficult is it?

It's not "better" than the 02-07 case reed motors.    I owned an 01 & feel it's an over-rated motor that was glorified by the mags & has continued in social media.   For all the hassle & money your going to be dealing with the conversion of 2 bikes it's a lot easier & less expensive to get the case reed motor dialed.        

Get onto eBay and type in "cr 250 frame conversion"

There's a kit, for $90...... looks like a pretty easy conversion............. But, I'm with H4L on this one, for getting the RC valve motor dialed in and pumping out the power, rather than swapping for the older 92-01 engine

What H4L said.

Personally, I think it's hard to beat a properly tuned 05-07 engine and the chassis is almost perfect right out of the box.

The '05-'07 2s motor is about as good as it gets for a Honda.

But if I were to do a transplant, forget the '01. Shove a KTM motor in there. That'd be my #1 reason for pulling out my stocker. A close 2nd, tho, would be a Rotax.

One other thing, unless your 01 is complete trash, with some suspension tuning you would probably love it and never know the difference between it and the 02-07 as far as handling unless you ride them back to back both having been tuned for you.  Just keep what you have.  If you really want an 02+ frame sell the 01 and buy the cleanest, non molested 02-07 and then take a look at CamP's thread on how to make the 02-07 motor the best Honda 250 motor ever built. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/941288-new-07-cr250/

If the handling is bad something is wrong. You should fix that first. The newer generation is better but not by much and the 01 is still very good handling . Set up your bike . My 01 handles very well. I've contemplated doing a hybrid too and maybe putting a big bore also but my bike is good revalved , resprung and handles awesome so if I'm upgrading I'm getting an electric start 300 Beta. Put searches on TT for cr 250 hybrids and for the 3rd generation cr's and what guys have done to them for those to work well. You have a lot of options but the simple one is to just go through your suspension...service.respring...check your linkage blah blah

'01 CRs handle great.  There's something wrong with yours.

It's easy.  Buy that bracket, slot out the engine mounts, and get the airbox boot from the older one mounted up.  You'll also need the '02+ silencer.

The only reason I did the swap was so I could get a 300cc kit for the motor.  Not available for the '02+ motors.  I put mine into a 2002 frame so I could retain the CA green sticker.

Never remember hearing the '01's handled poorly, just that they were stiffer than hell.

I just bought an 01 cr250 knowing that the engine is "better" than the 02 and newer ones. But the handling is awful..So Im thinking of buying a blown up 02 or newer and putting the 01 engine in it. I know its pretty common, but how difficult is it?

Who told you that I had owned 01, 03, and 05 cr250 the 01 motor never comes close to my 03 and the best cr250 motor is the 05 -07 after the head mods and carb swap.I never like the 01 for me its only good for a trail bike!!!!!

Edited by dirtracker

Who told you that I had owned 01, 03, and 05 cr250 the 01 motor never comes close to my 03 and the best cr250 motor is the 05 -07 after the head mods and carb swap.I never like the 01 for me its only good for a trail bike!!!!!

So if the '02 to '07 CR motors are so wonderful then why does Service Honda still put the '01 motors in their bikes?  Any why does the common belief that the '01 motors are superior still persist?  Because they are better, that's why!  Learn how to tune yours and you would think differently.

Edited by Nummie

I know that all cr's have mods to improve them to where people want them. Still if I was service honda, the motor I would think that would be best to put work on to make an ultimate 250 would be an 05to 07 motor. They chose an 01. 

So if the '02 to '07 CR motors are so wonderful then why does Service Honda still put the '01 motors in their bikes? Any why does the common belief that the '01 motors are superior still persist? Because they are better, that's why! Learn how to tune yours and you would think differently.

Service Honda addresses this in several interviews, the main reason they chose the 01 engine was the fact that out if all the cr engines out of the box it had the most usable power AND it is a simpler design that has proven reliable.

So from a mass production stand point they felt that engine would better serve more riders, I'm sure anyone could order a 2007 cr250 engine in one of their bikes but people seem happy with the 01

The YZ motor fits nicely in the 02-07 frame, lots of aftermarket available, it's still in production which I think is huge! you can also get a wide ratio tranny and big bore up to 345cc

Really there are so many options to make a great bike with a honda chassis, motor and other motors etc. ...really 01 crs work great. 97-99? 'Maybe that's where I'd draw the line but even those can be significantly improved with some mods. The second gen and forward are all good to go.. and if you want to go back then 96 cr. It's all what ya want to do. The easiest is service your suspension. That's the cheapest too.'

Here's the same old 01 cr vid . He compares it to the latest cr framed 4 stroke.. what is it 5th generation frame?  just cheerleading for 2nd gen ..again.. :ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfOjA3kiknM

http://www.musgraveracing.com/2strokerev/

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Service Honda addresses this in several interviews, the main reason they chose the 01 engine was the fact that out if all the cr engines out of the box it had the most usable power AND it is a simpler design that has proven reliable.

So from a mass production stand point they felt that engine would better serve more riders, I'm sure anyone could order a 2007 cr250 engine in one of their bikes but people seem happy with the 01

Service honda will put a lawnmower engine on a 2013 crf450 if somebody wants it or if there is a market!!!!

They are a custom shop make sense!!!!

Service honda will put a lawnmower engine on a 2013 crf450 if somebody wants it or if there is a market!!!!

Thanks

Yup.. Anyone can get an 02 to 07 for cheap and mod it out.. Bottom line is people are paying 10k ? or so for the 01 motor in the newest gen honda frame amongst other hybrids. Why? because their products are first class. You should be happy you and everyone else can get the latest gen crs for cheap. I don't want an electric powervalve but you can have all you want. Hey I'm happy with my 01 modded up for trail anyway but you know that making like service honda is providing "lawnmower engine" type quality isn't a true view of service hondas intention. They just made their choice of what they thought would be best. I wouldn't pay that much for those bikes but they are awesome to  me. I'm happy that they are making these bikes for those who want em.

http://www.servicehonda.com/2010-models48/honda34/250af44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6HMezsJzqA

I've owned both a 01 and 02 CR250. The 02s motor has more torque and is more usable than the 01. The 01 had a 12T sprocket and a FMF Gnarly. Still no low or even low to mid range power compared to the 02. 

I've owned both a 01 and 02 CR250. The 02s motor has more torque and is more usable than the 01. The 01 had a 12T sprocket and a FMF Gnarly. Still no low or even low to mid range power compared to the 02.

Exactly my tuned 05 has more torque, low end, mid and top end than my 01 before its not even close!!

Runs even better than the 05 yz250 I owend before but some people will still argue!!!

Edited by dirtracker