Sign in to follow this  

Changed rear tire now rear brakes suck

Did a tire swap and now my rear brakes are soft and weak. Great pad life left. Reinstall went real smooth. 3k miles on bike total.

Any ideas?

No I never really had to mess with the pads. Rode it about 25 miles since then and still no change to the brakes

Did you push the the piston in on the brakes. When I did that it alowed air into the brakes and had to bleed them

Did you push the the piston in on the brakes. When I did that it alowed air into the brakes and had to bleed them

That was also my first thought as that has happened to me  :banghead:

• Like 1

I never actually forced the piston open intentionally but I probably did when I was putting it back on. I'll bleed it after work and see what happens

yup it only takes a little bit. When I did my first brakes ever I pushed them  way open and had zero brakes so just a little push will make them squishy.

Just pushing the piston into the caliper will not introduce air into the system.  However, you'll need to "pump the brakes" a few times to push the piston back out so the pads touch the rotor.

Just pushing the piston into the caliper will not introduce air into the system. However, you'll need to "pump the brakes" a few times to push the piston back out so the pads touch the rotor.

Well every time I've done it in the past it put air in...don't know why but I've had to bled my brakes if I do that

Did you get grease or oil on them?

No I never really had to mess with the pads. Rode it about 25 miles since then and still no change to the brakes

Did you get grease or oil on the rotor?

Well every time I've done it in the past it put air in...don't know why but I've had to bled my brakes if I do that

Either you already had air in the system or the piston seal is no good.  When you press the piston into the caliper, i.e., to get the wheel off (because the rotor is sticking between the pads) or to put new pads in, you end up with a "big" gap between the pads and the rotor (when reassembled).  So the first couple pulls of the brake lever feel super soft as there is no resistance and the piston moves back out.  Once the pads touch the rotor, the lever firms up.

Try cleaning the rotor with some brake clean b4 goin nuts on the caliper. I had non existent rear brakes after a tire change. I guess i touched them inadvertently with greasy hands. Brake clean, rag, and some hard stop practice in a safe location is my step 1 recommendation.