125 or 250

Hi. I want to start riding MX for fun. There's a new fancy MX track about to open down the road from me. I don't have much experience with track riding. I'm riding a KDX 220 two stroke in the woods. I lowered it with Kubo link 2". I rode the 220 in a track once, and I darn near killed myself, almost flew over the handlebars. I probably need a real mx bike.

I want a YZ 125 or 250 to ride in the new track. I've read the 125 is difficult to ride cuz it got no tork. I've read the 250 will buck you off every chance it gets. Btw, I'm 5'7" with 27" inseam. I'm not trying to bust triple or anything. I just want to go out and have fun riding. And not endanger myself or anyone else on the track.

Edited by Terminatr

If I remember right the 125 has a taller seat height. I've never owned a 125 but I've ridden plenty. It's a lot more clutch work to keep the revs in the desert spot but its not that hard. I dont know about a 250 trying to buck you off. Not like a 500. As long as you are smart and don't dump the clutch you will be fine. What's your budget? 125s can be had pretty cheap.

Also, if you are concerned about the power of a Y250 you can calm down the power delivery by installing a flywheel weight. This will make it rev ever so slightly slower plus make it harder to stall. This will make it easier to ride. 

• Like 1

the 125 is an important step in learning the proper techniques on a motocross track. If you are less than 200 lbs even, get the 125. the yz250 has too much power for someone your size and skill.

And the 125 i way to much fun!

How old are you and what's your weight ? If you wanna have complete fun,the 125 is the one you want and don't let the smaller bore fool you,for it's size the 125 is fairly quick.

This is it right here!

My son rides the 125 and I ride the 250, that being said I think the 125 is the funest dirt bike ever invented.

if you weigh more than 200 lbs get the 250 but at your height the 125 will be less intimidating and super fun .

I weight 155#.

Perfect weight.You DO NOT want to miss out on the best part of your riding career.Please,do yourself a favor and get the 125,you'll be so glad you did.FACT. 

Edited by Alan48