Sign in to follow this  

Normal wear parts required for fork rebuild

So I bought my 05X in 2011 and it had sat for a couple years un-ridden. I put a lot of hard miles on her but I keep up on the engine side of the mechanicals and she is holding up great.

However, the forks have been very stiff and have been getting much stiffer lately. Don't laugh, but the last suspension work and oil change was done in 07, so I know it's WELL overdue for a fork rebuild. I figure my valve stack is filled with crud and my bushings are trash. My fork seals have never leaked a drop.

I'll do the work myself as I was happy with the valving when it was new to me and I don't want to make changes at this time. I will obviously replace all the oil and tear the forks down all the way. I have rebuilt 4 sets of conventional forks on street bikes but this is my first go-round in the dirt bike world.

I figure that I will replace the oil and dust seals, the main slider and guide bushings and maybe the backup ring. I will order two liters of BelRay 5w oil, unless there is a reason not to.

My question is this: What parts should I order? What about the bushings on the damper rod and valve stack, bush B and C slider? What other consumable parts should I order, and what errors can I learn from the experience of others?

If the stack is to your liking, seals, bushings (all of them and the o-rings that seal the inner chamber) and Honda 5wt oil should be all you need.

That way you have everything when you start and can replace as needed, you will eventually have to replace all of this stuff might as well have it on hand.