Sign in to follow this  

Timing Chain Help!

I did some top end work on my 96 XR600 and I am at the point of putting the cam back in, but I am having problems with the timing chain.  It is not connecting to the gear on the bottom, so it can rotate freely.  All attempts to get it back on the lower gear (hours!), and I can get it to go to one side or the other, but it won't stay on the lower gear.  I just don't know what I am dong wrong. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't try to do it with the upper gear in place.  Also, have you removed the timing chain tensioner so that the guide isn't in your way?

It is possible to get the chain re-engaged on the gear, but I don't know if there's any trick.  As a last resort, remove the right side cover to get better access to it.

Don't try to do it with the upper gear in place.  Also, have you removed the timing chain tensioner so that the guide isn't in your way?

It is possible to get the chain re-engaged on the gear, but I don't know if there's any trick.  As a last resort, remove the right side cover to get better access to it.

Thanks for the tips.

I was trying without the upper gear in place to no avail; however, the tensioner is in but retracted (pointing down).  Is retracted not good enough?

I dunno what retracted means with regards the auto tensioner.,however..The automatic tensioner goes in after you have the chain on the top and bottom sprockets..Pull it out of the head and start again..If you can't get the chain on the bottom sprocket you are going to need to pull the clutch cover to access it at the bottom of the motor..You shouldn't need to do that..it normally isn't that hard to get it on the bottom so long as the tensioner is out of the way..

What method are you using to get the auto tensioner set correctly when you finally drop it in..zip tie or do you have the special tool..??It is not an easy thing to deal with if you have never done it before..You need to get it right or the engine will just mess up//

Edited by Horri

I dunno what retracted means with regards the auto tensioner.,however..The automatic tensioner goes in after you have the chain on the top and bottom sprockets..Pull it out of the head and start again..If you can't get the chain on the bottom sprocket you are going to need to pull the clutch cover to access it at the bottom of the motor..You shouldn't need to do that..it normally isn't that hard to get it on the bottom so long as the tensioner is out of the way..

What method are you using to get the auto tensioner set correctly when you finally drop it in..zip tie or do you have the special tool..??It is not an easy thing to deal with if you have never done it before..You need to get it right or the engine will just mess up//

That is why I never took it out of the head.  At first I was putting a punch in the hole on top of the tensioner and rotating it down so it was not putting pressure on the guide, but holding it there while doing other work was a pain.  I later just put a little wedge between the tension and the head to keep it rotated out of the way. 

Is removing the tensioner a must to get the chain back on?  To be honest, I am a bit nervous dealing with it, since it seems to need a special tool or cable tie tricks to get it back in place.  This is one of those rare moments I miss the old two stroke :-)

Thanks!

I don't know and I haven't got time now to get into proper detailed explanations..The zip tie trick is pretty straightforward ,,you need a vice and a couple of small zip ties..Hopefully someone else will pop in and explain it properly..Do a search here or on Google using these words.." Zip tie and Camchain tensioner..XR600"..You should get some results..Their's a video out there somewhere on the method ,,some guy from over at 4strokes did one ages ago..

You also need a fine blade like a coping saw blade to cut the ties once the tensioners in posi..You heat the blade on your stove and it goes through them like butter,,Far easier than using any knife or scalpel type thing..

Edited by Horri

Yep..As Mick says in I think his thread ,,It's important to get the cable tie in the correct position so you can slice it and pull it out from behind the mechanism..The locking part or parts depending on whether you use one bigger tie or two small has to be in the right place or things get jammed..Do a couple of dummy runs first and you'll see what Mick/we mean..Thin blade and heat,,slice..pull the thing out,,take it easy on the yanking..some cable ties can be kinda weak these days,,you don't want them snapping in behind the mechanism once you've cut it and are attempting to pull them out,,Wobble the mechanism a bit with a screwdriver if they seem badly jammed.

Edited by Horri