Sign in to follow this  

clutch cable issue?!

So as i pulled into the driveway yesterday i found it damn near impossible to shift into neutral when the bike was stopped (it was still running).  

I rolled it forward and back while trying to shift into neautral but it just wouldn't budge out of first gear.

I thought that when i pulled the lever in it was not completely disengaging so i figured i just had to adjust the cable.

well being the genius i am i farked  around with the adjuster on the perch for a minute or two (I adjusted it the wrong way first) but when i got it all adjusted it still didn't seem to want to work and there is still a LOT of play in the lever.

after messing around with it for awhile it now seems to be worse :bonk:

This seemed to just kinda happen.  I noticed that it was shifting hard on the ride but nothing terrible.

whats the problem :confused: ?! i don't think the cable is broke because it still pulls a little, could it have just spontaneously stretched? or maybe a spring is broken in the clutch? 

any ideas and thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I think the cable is frayed but not yet broken. Look closely at both ends of the cable.

When was the last time you changed your oil?  When my oil gets dirty, it's almost impossible to shift into neutral with the engine running. 

There is a second adjuster close to the lever that can "shorten" the length of the cable. It basically extends the sleeve. At the perch you want the screw to come out to make it have less play.

There is a second adjuster close to the lever that can "shorten" the length of the cable. It basically extends the sleeve. At the perch you want the screw to come out to make it have less play.

I did that even to the point where the adjuster is actually out of the clutch perch and there still seems to be way to much play in it.

I think the cable is frayed but not yet broken. Look closely at both ends of the cable.

i looked at both ends and it doesn't look bad.  But i can't see much though cause the wire is encased (to keep from wear i assume)

Look at the OTHER adjuster that is part of the cable. That will also let you tighten up slack without having to unscrew the perch screw all the way

check the lever end down near the starter motor,the one that goes onto the spline shaft,check nothing has come loose.if no problems there then the cable is frayed and about to break