Forest Service Campground Status

Washington

Does anyone know what the status of the Forest Service campgrounds are with the shutdown? I heard the National Park Service is telling campers to vacate and wonder if the Forest Service is doing the same. I found the following but don't know how reliable it is.

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2013/10/us_forest_service_national_par.html

I was planning on camping at one of the Forest Service campgrounds for the Rimrock GP this weekend and I'm concerned they are going to be closed.

I was wondering  what all is affected also lakes ,trails, ETC ?

looking at the pic, guessing they'll get some one lane portable signals set up and get it reopened asap

Telling campers to leave is plain bs,  people can camp without the govt's help.

Edited by highmarker

looking at the pic, guessing they'll get some one lane portable signals set up and get it reopened asap

Telling campers to leave is plain bs,  people can camp without the govt's help.

What if they don't leave?  Are they going to arrest them? 

The race is on national forrest land. I called the club they said so far its still on,but to keep an eye on thier web site if things change.

All are national Forrest trails in south Mississippi are closed as of yesterday due to government finding

All are national Forrest trails in south Mississippi are closed as of yesterday due to government finding

why would lack of gov funding close a trail?  I don't care if they close all parks.  I can't ride there. Pretty sure they can't arrest me :excuseme:

Designated, pay campgrounds are closed.  I don't think anyone is going to stop you from going out and setting up camp (what we call dispersed camping) somewhere other than a designated campground.

Designated, pay campgrounds are closed.  I don't think anyone is going to stop you from going out and setting up camp (what we call dispersed camping) somewhere other than a designated campground.

I just got back from Colville area and they sure have taken that MVUM seriously up there.  My uncle is pissed cuz they are trying to make an example of 'great forestry practice' and messing with everything.  The Pend Orielle has some of the best Pike fishing in the country nowadays, but they aren't native, so they are gill netting them out of the river so they can get more bull trout.  At least they decimated the squawfish

Hey Slackinhard what do you mean by taking the MVUM seriously?  

Hey Slackinhard what do you mean by taking the MVUM seriously?  

I grew up in that area, still have a bunch of family that lives up there.  The whole area used to be open to mining, etc and so there are old roads leading all over the area. The locals use these roads for all kinds of things, and since there aren't many folk up there, it's not like there is any impact to anything. Well, now they've gone all gung ho on this new MVUM policy where you're not allowed there motorized unless the exact road you're on is on the map. Lots of lakes in that area, and lots of fisherman....some of the lakes are now inaccessible unless ya hike.  Again, the problem is, there is no problem. Folks trying to fix things that aren't broke cause more problems than things that are.

Edited by Slackkinhard

Are the locals playing along with it? 

Are the locals playing along with it? 

they are going on the down low about it.  One of the problems is the recession....there is no money in that part of the state. Ione has no open restaurants, Metaline is left with only Cathy's Cafe'. The 100 border patrol agents they put up there to guard the dam and the border don't have anything to do, but they have all the spending money. The MVUM is a prime reason for contact. It's not like the terrorists are going to make much of a statement in that area of the country, but big brother sure is.

Edited by Slackkinhard

Here's the latest from the Dust Dodgers

http://www.dustdodgers.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=395009&module_id=26973

Silver Beach Resort is open and not affected by the government shut down because they are operating under a long term lease. Other USFS campgrounds with gates are closed including Indian Creek Campground.

Keep an eye out for the Highway 12 road closure on the DOT website. Presently Highway 12 is closed west of White Pass. We are hopeful that it will be open before the weekend but we simply don't have information on that yet. Presently to get to Rimrock, one has to come from the east.

Looks like the Forest Service is closing gated campgrounds, but campgrounds without gates are still accessible. Regardless the road situation doesn't look good for those of us heading to Rimrock from the West at the moment.

I just got back from Colville area and they sure have taken that MVUM seriously up there.  My uncle is pissed cuz they are trying to make an example of 'great forestry practice' and messing with everything.  The Pend Orielle has some of the best Pike fishing in the country nowadays, but they aren't native, so they are gill netting them out of the river so they can get more bull trout.  At least they decimated the squawfish

FYI, I work (or did until Monday) for the Colville.  The MVUM has been a nightmare... it's currently in revision, again. It's been a fuster cluck to say the least.  Too many people internally pushing their own agendas to get their way, since as I'm sure you know in this area anything with a motor is viewed as evil evil and should be banned from public land.  And remember, the MVUM crap came from the top down and we are REQUIRED to implement it.  Not sure that will ever get changed.  Personally I feel like it was well intended at it's creation but has evolved into a nebulous disastrous mess that it was never intended to be... kinda like the ESA.

The fish is a state/Tribal thing... I'm not even going to get into that one!

why don't the Indians want the pike?  They are bigger, better eating, and more fun to catch. Bull trout are over rated IMHO.

edit: thinking about it, they prolly chew through their nets.  That's kinda funny....sorta

Edited by Slackkinhard

why don't the Indians want the pike?  They are bigger, better eating, and more fun to catch. Bull trout are over rated IMHO.

edit: thinking about it, they prolly chew through their nets.  That's kinda funny....sorta

Because (1) they aren't native, (2) they eat the native fishes and (3) in the eyes of the tribe the bull trout trumps all.  They have gone to great lengths to protect/recover bull trout (especially east of the Pend Oreille River) with no end in sight.  Millions of $ invested.

Know another FS district that views the MVUM as an unfunded mandate. Their plan was to change nothing, just map what's currently there (and it's use) and call it good. 

Anyone know if sand lake or it's campgrounds are open?