Sign in to follow this  

Getting crf450x to start after getting wet

Help I am having a hard time getting my 05 450x to start after dumping it in a big ass puddle, I have changed out all of the milky oil three times, drained fuel completely, cleaned af, checked plug which is new, after all that I was able to start by pulling it with a truck because battery was dead and kick start would not work, but ran fine even started with button and kick after it had been running but after letting it sit for a day I have the same problem this time I jump started it with my car while holding down the throttle half way ..?? Could there be anything else that would make it not start by kick starter or cranking ? I also pulled the carb apart and cleaned it out ...

Pull the float bowl, replace the pilot jet, pull the fuel screw and check the oring then adjust it to 1.5, put in a new plug, and check your wire connections behind the headlight and under the seat, and change your air cleaner and oil filter.

Do not jump with the car running.  Too much current.

I have done all of this except the fuel screw , where is this and what do you mean adjust 1.5 also could there be a problem with a coil or something

Also does anyone know if there is supposed to be a greasy oily substance in the top end of the carb where the throttle goes up and down for the intake

I have done all of this except the fuel screw , where is this and what do you mean adjust 1.5 also could there be a problem with a coil or something

It's on the bottom of the carb. You are supposed adjust it for your air density.

Also does anyone know if there is supposed to be a greasy oily substance in the top end of the carb where the throttle goes up and down for the intake

No. When you tipped over you probably poured engine oil into your air box through the valve cover breather hose.

Or, your carb is dirty.

If you stall or start a motor in deep water, sand or dust, the carb vents will suck the material right up inside the top of the carb.

That's why you have to prep your bike to ride in any kind of water, by re-routing the breather hoses, and dielectric greasing all of your electrical connections, and grease you air cleaner rim before installing.

No. When you tipped over you probably poured engine oil into your air box through the valve cover breather hose.

Or, your carb is dirty.

If you stall or start a motor in deep water, sand or dust, the carb vents will suck the material right up inside the top of the carb.

That's why you have to prep your bike to ride in any kind of water, by re-routing the breather hoses, and dielectric greasing all of your electrical connections, and grease you air cleaner rim before installing.

Ok well I have tried all of these things,carb is clean and still no go without help but runs great once started even starts easy..

Ok well I have tried all of these things,carb is clean and still no go without help but runs great once started even starts easy..

So, it does start, but it doesn't?

Not on its own I have to either jump it or pull it but once it is started it runs fine even starts with push button once on has been running but after letting it sit a day I'm back in the same boat

Not on its own I have to either jump it or pull it but once it is started it runs fine even starts with push button once on has been running but after letting it sit a day I'm back in the same boat

So, you battery is bad, or you have a parasitic draw on the system, either from a short (harness) or corrosion (harness connections)

If you have the same problem even when kicking, then the issue is probably the intake valves being out of adjustment.

I'm thinking electrical as well since the day before I dumped in the puddle I checked all the valve clearances and they were all in spec only problem is I know nothing about the electrical on these bikes any ideas of where to check

Can you summarize the problem as very difficult to start when the engine is cold? With a history of a brief swim.

I wonder is it's as simple as the fuel enrichment circuit, "choke". I've never had mine apart, so I'm no help with instructions. Seems likely if all other systems are normal, but difficult to start when cold.

When mine was that way, intake valves were tight.

I'm thinking electrical as well since the day before I dumped in the puddle I checked all the valve clearances and they were all in spec only problem is I know nothing about the electrical on these bikes any ideas of where to check

It gets frustrating when I read these posts. Krannie is trying to help you!! This question has been answered. If you don't know how to do it yourself, take your battery somewhere and have it checked. Better yet, just bypass all that and buy a new one. YOUR BATTERY IS TOAST!! Secondly, CHECK YOUR VALVE CLEARANCES AGAIN!! It doesn't take very long. CHECK YOUR PILOT JET AGAIN!! Just do it.

The problem you're having is happening NOW, not the day before you dumped it in the puddle. Check/replace/fix these things and report back with your findings.

• Like 2

It gets frustrating when I read these posts. Krannie is trying to help you!! This question has been answered. If you don't know how to do it yourself, take your battery somewhere and have it checked. Better yet, just bypass all that and buy a new one. YOUR BATTERY IS TOAST!! Secondly, CHECK YOUR VALVE CLEARANCES AGAIN!! It doesn't take very long. CHECK YOUR PILOT JET AGAIN!! Just do it.

The problem you're having is happening NOW, not the day before you dumped it in the puddle. Check/replace/fix these things and report back with your findings.

I was biting my tongue before you posted this.... :bonk:

• Like 1