Sign in to follow this  

05 rm-z 450 break in

My wifes cousin picked up a 05 450 really cheap but it needed a top end. so, he got a cylinder head and piston all new. He just got it running but isn't sure about the break in time/procedure. I'm not much help but I told him I would try to find out. And this is a good place to do so. Anyone shed some light on the situation? Thanks.

Your gonna get a lot of opinions but I've done this with every motor I have ever built. Warm it up fully, check for leaks etc, ride it like you stole it, let it fully cool down. That's it, repeat a few times then do an oil and filter change

• Like 1

Your gonna get a lot of opinions but I've done this with every motor I have ever built. Warm it up fully, check for leaks etc, ride it like you stole it, let it fully cool down. That's it, repeat a few times then do an oil and filter change

I agree... I have used the same method for every bike that I have owned both 2 strokes and 4. I warm the bike up on the stand, check for leaks, go ride it and change the oil. Fresh oil for the first few hours is the most important part of the break in IMO. I change my oil every 1 hour or so to get all the contaminants out of the motor for about 3 hours (may be overkill but I feel safe doing it this way). After that every 4-5 hours seems plenty often enough for me.

Edited by BDubb106

I respect the opinions who say ride it hard the day you buy it new or rebuilt it. Honestly, I have seen many times that these engines tend to be "looser" and rev more freely than an engine that has been broken in more cautiously. On the contrary, a engine broken in engine more judiciously will have a better service life and last longer. So it's a trade off.

First reason for breaking it in cautiously: After a rebuild it is important to monitor how the motor is responding not just check for leaks. Even the best engine builders make mistakes and parts can come with manufacturing flaws. If you just take it out and flog it you won't get the opportunity to save the motor from catastrophic failure should you notice an unusual noise, vibration etc. and you will have a very disappointing first second or third ride.

Secondly; If you pay attention to how you break it in and bring it through a process, the motor will appreciate it. The rings (arguably) will seal better against the cylinder wall. The valves will seal better in their seats and the entire metallurgy including seals and washers will set in better. I consider a break in to be an extended warm up process. You wouldn't hold your bike wide open before you warm it up would you? The break in process is similar in that it allows you to warm up the new motor over time. Now it's ready for the long haul.

I would at least heat cycle the motor 1 time with no load on the engine. Then ride at 1/4 throttle for say 20 minutes and let it cool down. Do this again at 1/2 throttle. And finally at 3/4. Now you can flog it. If it was an entirely new bike I would go even more extreme and err on the side of caution.

Regardless of which way you choose, always change the oil immediately after the break in process

Edited by bnyfe

Update. He took the 450 to sand mt. and blew it up. I don't know exactly the break-in procedure that he used, but, knowing him, he was really careful. He drove all the way back to sacramento, dropped off the zuk then went and bought a used crf 450 and back to sand mt.! I told him to at least look at the bright side: You're on a Honda now! ;)