Sign in to follow this  

Please help to identify SM wheels origins

Hi all, I've got a pair of SM wheels, and I can't figure out to what bike do them belong.

The seller said they were removed from XR650R (he didn't say the exact year), but at first glance they don't seem to be compartible with XRs. Sprocket and brake disks sit differently, rims are aligned in other way relative to hubs.
Another guy supposed, that they are from KTM 640, but he wasn't quite sure.
May be someone could clear up the question?

Here are the pics of these wheels:
http://imgur.com/a/4mJyG

I shall post the measurements of the rims later.

5P6oTcph.jpg

fk6GOjih.jpg

VxeAvFOh.jpg

WlPWOVJh.jpg

With the proper spacers they would probably fit any Japanese bike. They do look like Honda though. Four bolt front disc is Honda. A picture of the axle spacers, and the axle id would help more

With the proper spacers they would probably fit any Japanese bike. They do look like Honda though. Four bolt front disc is Honda. A picture of the axle spacers, and the axle id would help more

I'm pretty sure that I need to put a lot of work here to make it fit Honda XR/CRM models. First, I compared with my CRM250R, It requires not only spacers, but also some difficult work with the rear wheel spokes, cause the rim is aligned in another way. Even if I insert the hub, the wheel doesn't match with CRM's wheel alignment at least by 1/2''. Also, I met a guy with rear wheel from XR650R, and the comparison had shown total difference between the wheels.

Yesterday evening one said that this wheel may match DR-Z400SM wheel... Seems close, but DR-Z wheel also has 6 bolt disks. Kawasaki KLX250/D-tracker (see attached) also has 6 bolt rear disk.

1366209888287_default.jpg

1366209892785_default.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I need to put a lot of work here to make it fit Honda XR/CRM models. First, I compared with my CRM250R, It requires not only spacers, but also some difficult work with the rear wheel spokes, cause the rim is aligned in another way. Even if I insert the hub, the wheel doesn't match with CRM's wheel alignment at least by 1/2''. Also, I met a guy with rear wheel from XR650R, and the comparison had shown total difference between the wheels.

Yesterday evening one said that this wheel may match DR-Z400SM wheel... Seems close, but DR-Z wheel also has 6 bolt disks. Kawasaki KLX250/D-tracker (see attached) also has 6 bolt rear disk.

Not DRZ wheels.  DRZ shares the front rotor bolt pattern with a yamaha.  RMZ is 4bolt rotor though.  

Here is a set off my rmz450

front

IMG_0919_zps627d45b5.jpg

rear

IMG_0918_zps10134c47.jpg

what size is the ID of your spacers?  That would really narrow it down. 

ps ive never seen someone use Phillips head screws for a sprocket before!

pps, crm250 is cool!  Ive only seen one here in the states.  I should have bought it but it was $3500 10 years ago well used...

My guess on the rims is 05+rmz450 or 07+ rmz250.

Edited by shift1313

Not DRZ wheels.  DRZ shares the front rotor bolt pattern with a yamaha.  RMZ is 4bolt rotor though.  

Here is a set off my rmz450

front

IMG_0919_zps627d45b5.jpg

rear

IMG_0918_zps10134c47.jpg

what size is the ID of your spacers?  That would really narrow it down. 

ps ive never seen someone use Phillips head screws for a sprocket before!

pps, crm250 is cool!  Ive only seen one here in the states.  I should have bought it but it was $3500 10 years ago well used...

My guess on the rims is 05+rmz450 or 07+ rmz250.

Yes, it seams as if it is from RMZ... If so, it's a bad luck - I have never seen here an RMZ converted to motard, just one prepared for stunt riding. But it should be possible to adjust them to fit DR-Z400 - new bearings, spacers etc.

Right now I have no tool to measure the inside of the spacers (if you mean the bushing between the bearings), it seams to be 17-19-20 mm front and 20-22 rear. But I'm not sure that these are original spacers, may be the previous owner already tried to adopt it for his XR650R.

The bearings inner size itself is 17 mm front, 20 mm rear (so it matches XR axle sizes).

Yes, I like CRMs very much and already miss mine (attached) - sold it yesterday to get money for a used MX bike (= Hope to get an AR model in good condition from Japan next year.

Here in Russia 3500$ is not a bad price for 20 years old CRM250R. I sold mine for 4000$, right as it was bought for a year ago. 

CRM250 is the most popular here compared to the competing models - Kawa KDX250, Yama DT230 Lanza and Suzi RMX250. Here are the number of offers from one of the largest russian automotive classifieds site:

CRM - 17, KDX - 9, DT (200-250 models) - 9, RMX - 2 

photo (3).jpg

photo (4).jpg

Edited by dfche

the wheels will not easily swap to a drz.  the drz has a wide rear hub.  DRZ rear is the same as most KTM rears, but the RMZ is much narrower.  This means our sprocket alignment will be tough and your wheel will be offset to one side.  The good thing about the RMZ wheels is that they fit all 450s and 07+250s.  You could just use the spokes and rims and lace them to stock DRZ hubs.  that would be the easiest thing to do.  Then you dont have to fool with making spacers, not having a speedo drive, sprocket and disc alignment etc.  I have both bikes and had a few sets of rims.  If i could have used the drz rims on the rmz or vice versa i would have.

I wish honda imported the CRM here in the states.  I know 2 strokes and emissions.  The last 2stroke street trail that really was around was the kawasaki ke100.  Ihad a 125.

22097_0_1_2_crm%20250%20ar_Submitted%20b

Edited by shift1313

Here are some rough measurements on pics.
The entire width of the front hub with brake rotor attached (top view) - 107 mm. Rear hub with sprocket and brake disk attached - 161 mm.

Thanks a lot for your help.

fl.jpg

fr.jpg

rl.jpg

rr.jpg

Here are some rough measurements on pics.

The entire width of the front hub with brake rotor attached (top view) - 107 mm. Rear hub with sprocket and brake disk attached - 161 mm.

Thanks a lot for your help.

The drz rear hub itself factory was153mm wide.  The distance with the spacers and the caliper etc(distance between swing arm) is 202mm. 

RMZ ill have to measure to get accurate numbers.  On my SM pro rims from disc(5mm wide) to the right side hub was roughly 5"(127mm).  Rear from sprocket to rotor is roughly 6.5"(165mm).  These were rough numbers while on the bike with a tape measure.  Id say just based on how you measured with the sprocket and disc on the hub they seem like RMZ.  I would have pulled my dirt wheels out to look at casting marks but they are in a stack of rims/tires and i couldnt get them out quickly.