Sign in to follow this  

I dont see a problem?

Now nearly everyone on this site complains about the fact that 4 strokes can blow up randomly and will cost you a fortune to rebuild and you have to do a lot more maintenance on them but I owned a yz426f for 2 years and cleaned the air filter, dropped the oil and replaced it and replaced the oil filter after every 2 rides. I had not a single other problem. it was always a bastard to start but that is just yz426's. now ive also had 2 two-strokes and ill I had with them is problems. they either blew up, i drove for hours to a lovely spot and got the bike off the trailer and it wouldn't bloody start or just random parts like gear levers, kick starters and even mufflers fell off. why do people hate them so much if theyre all i see on the trail, on the moto x track and everywhere else???

All I currently ride is 2t. Love 'em, but they have their own issues. I Locktite...EVERYTHING. My experience: 2t tend to rattle loose over time. It's part of owning & maintaining one. I'm not a 4t hater by any means...in fact, I'm dreaming of a new bike sometime this year. It will be a 4t. As far as what blows up, and when...I believe that is pretty dependant on owner/operator/mechanic. I'll always own a smoker, but 4t do have their appeal.

All I currently ride is 2t. Love 'em, but they have their own issues. I Locktite...EVERYTHING. My experience: 2t tend to rattle loose over time. It's part of owning & maintaining one. I'm not a 4t hater by any means...in fact, I'm dreaming of a new bike sometime this year. It will be a 4t. As far as what blows up, and when...I believe that is pretty dependant on owner/operator/mechanic. I'll always own a smoker, but 4t do have their appeal.

see im a fairly slow rider. i get overlapped in c grade and the only reason is for that is because i go riding maybe 2 or 3 times a year. i never ride my bikes hard and always short shift a little. that's why i think im better suited to 4 strokes. plus my parents like that they aren't loud!!

see im a fairly slow rider. i get overlapped in c grade and the only reason is for that is because i go riding maybe 2 or 3 times a year. i never ride my bikes hard and always short shift a little. that's why i think im better suited to 4 strokes. plus my parents like that they aren't loud!!

Well there  you have it.....you only ride 2-3 times a year.  Some guys ride 2-3 times a WEEK and have different experiences.  also, were  your 2stroke and 4 stroke bikes all brand new when you got them or used?  if used.....you have NO idea how they were treated by the previous owners and with your very limited use/ experience with them, it is hardly a good example.

Joe

Now nearly everyone on this site complains about the fact that 4 strokes can blow up randomly and will cost you a fortune to rebuild and you have to do a lot more maintenance on them but I owned a yz426f for 2 years and cleaned the air filter, dropped the oil and replaced it and replaced the oil filter after every 2 rides. I had not a single other problem. it was always a bastard to start but that is just yz426's. now ive also had 2 two-strokes and ill I had with them is problems. they either blew up, i drove for hours to a lovely spot and got the bike off the trailer and it wouldn't bloody start or just random parts like gear levers, kick starters and even mufflers fell off. why do people hate them so much if theyre all i see on the trail, on the moto x track and everywhere else???

Well to tell the truth I Loved my WR400 98? it was the first one. HATED my 08 CRF450R. If you go back and look at bore and stroke numbers after the first YZ/WR 400/426s every year after the bores got bigger stroke got shorter. Valves got bigger. Flywheels got lighter all to make a 4 stroke make more power and have quick response for supercross. Because of the short strokes the bikes now started to flame out. My WR400 NEVER did that it had a longer stroke. My CRF450 short stroke thats why I hated it! A long stroke motor takes a DEEP breath. A short stroke pants like say a dog. that is why they flame out. Also with the higher rpms that the newer bikes turn they wear out a LOT faster than the early YZ/WRs. As far as starting my WR if you stopped and took your time it would start all the time. CRF I could show off in pits and start with my hand then at start of a H/S it would not start sometimes 1 kick the next 40 kicks! And if you have a major motor fail it does cost big time. I have not had that happen BUT if it did it would cost 4 times what it would say on one of my 2 CR500s BTW they could be a BITCH to start sometimes!

Kill yourself, OP. 

These threads are getting old. Ride what you want to ride.. Cry babies go elsewhere!!! 

Well there  you have it.....you only ride 2-3 times a year.  Some guys ride 2-3 times a WEEK and have different experiences.  also, were  your 2stroke and 4 stroke bikes all brand new when you got them or used?  if used.....you have NO idea how they were treated by the previous owners and with your very limited use/ experience with them, it is hardly a good example.

Joe

The bikes were all 2000 models

Kill yourself, OP. 

These threads are getting old. Ride what you want to ride.. Cry babies go elsewhere!!!

I just don't want to get a bike, go on the first ride and find myself not liking it at all. It's just gets annoying

Kill yourself, OP. 

You know sometimes I HAVE to ask questions to some people. How many Championships do you have? Seems like you might know it all. Now im NOT getting nasty just asking? But thats why we are on this site right?

Who is talking about championships!?!   Because I don't race I can't have an opinion?! 

This is just another 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke thread. Same old song and dance. It's going to be filled with cry babies and whiners over the next couple days. 

• Like 2

X2 on rolling off a cliff and dieing.. but not really..just stop making these dumb posts.

my buddie and i re-built our bikes at the same time. his an 07 crf450 and mine a 02 cr250R. guess what, we have the same amount of hours on them both..still both running. he had to adjusst his valves a few times, i had to replace a left crank seal. big woop..both take work, both will have their small problems.

• Like 3

Who is talking about championships!?!   Because I don't race I can't have an opinion?! 

This is just another 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke thread. Same old song and dance. It's going to be filled with cry babies and whiners over the next couple days.

No anybody can have opinion yes! How do I say this? would you tell say Decoster, Hannah, Carmichal, Villo, etc. He didnot know what he was talking about? Im sure the ones that have been on the sites know it you say he is full of it well thats ok! I allways love it when I can say I told you so!

When did I say anyone didn't know what they were talking about?? I said these type of threads are lame. They do nothing but invoke arguing. See? Haha

• Like 1

haha parents like that they aren't loud, I still haven't heard a 2 stroke that's louder than a 4 stroke MX bike at w.o.t. !!!

• Like 1

No anybody can have opinion yes! How do I say this? would you tell say Decoster, Hannah, Carmichal, Villo, etc. He didnot know what he was talking about? Im sure the ones that have been on the sites know it you say he is full of it well thats ok! I allways love it when I can say I told you so!

pro MX racers do t count because I'm sure if they all had a choice a lot of them would be on smokers! But they can't ride them so drop that comment! These threads are stupid, you barely ride so you can't talk. 2strokes rattle a lot wich causes things to fall off and get loose big whoop if you maintain it it won't happen.
  • Like 1

haha parents like that they aren't loud, I still haven't heard a 2 stroke that's louder than a 4 stroke MX bike at w.o.t. !!!

I KNOW!!!! I laugh every time I hear that one.

• Like 1

I love my 300 smoker.  I've raced that bike for over 145 hrs of hardcore enduro riding in the A class, never had problems that weren't my fault. 

I just rejetted the bike for the temperature drop, richened it up a bit, but the bike is going naanananaaanananaaa on deceleration.  If it blows up, is that the smoker's fault, or mine for not jetting it properly?  I need to richen it, then it'll run perfectly.  So maintenance and keeping on top of small things like this will have a huge impact on reliability.

I love my 300 smoker.  I've raced that bike for over 145 hrs of hardcore enduro riding in the A class, never had problems that weren't my fault. 

I just rejetted the bike for the temperature drop, richened it up a bit, but the bike is going naanananaaanananaaa on deceleration.  If it blows up, is that the smoker's fault, or mine for not jetting it properly?  I need to richen it, then it'll run perfectly.  So maintenance and keeping on top of small things like this will have a huge impact on reliability.

You could buy an APT smartcarb :)