Sign in to follow this  

2013 crf250r 12 weeks old 26 hours and clutch problems.

my bikes started to give clutch problems already. it doesnt slip it doesnt make any noise but it now wont disengauge fully when i pull the clutch in and the motor is idling. i love everything on the bike but this. i thought it might have been the basket with notching already but i called in at the local shop and he thought it could be a broken plate, and to tear into it to have a look. im not going to ride it untill i find out whats wrong and i fix it, but any suggestions on what it could be and why it has failed already? cheers guys! i change the transmission oil every 5 - 10 hours also.

Probably a notched basket but could be a broken plate, or mis-adjusted clutch lever. Take the clutch apart and see, will take you 15min...

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

If you don't use the clutch much and you ride with a lot of on-off-on throttle transitions the basket notches asap. If you busted a plate you likely over-slipped and overheated it but I doubt it's a busted plate.

• Like 1

Tip the bike onto it's left side (right side up), remove the clutch cover and pressure plate and remove all plates. Inspect plates (thickness and color and glazing) and review the basket for notching, take pix and I am sure someone on here will help diagnose if you like.

My son who is 125 lbs just rolled over 33 hours on his 2013.  His stock clutch went in the last moto of our last race.  When we opened up the clutch the smell of burnt plates was strong.  We replaced it with a Hinson plate and spring kit.  The springs are stiffer and the jutter springs came out.  The basket looked like new.  We change our oils at 4 hours and use conventional in the trans side.  I'm not sure how big you are but 26 hours isn't too bad.  If I can make a pitch for the Hinson kit, it's built very well. 

i weigh 64kg

My son who is 125 lbs just rolled over 33 hours on his 2013.  His stock clutch went in the last moto of our last race.  When we opened up the clutch the smell of burnt plates was strong.  We replaced it with a Hinson plate and spring kit.  The springs are stiffer and the jutter springs came out.  The basket looked like new.  We change our oils at 4 hours and use conventional in the trans side.  I'm not sure how big you are but 26 hours isn't too bad.  If I can make a pitch for the Hinson kit, it's built very well. 

At 141 lbs you're not stressing the bike by weight. Proper adjustment and frequent oil changes 4-5 hrs max is crucial to longer life. I'm not trying to start an oil argument here however we don't use synthetic oil in either of our CRF's transmissions. The Honda GN4 in the 1 gallon jugs works great.

Thats great for a clutch I got not even 25 hours on my 2012 crf250r and even less on my 2013 crf450r. Changed it to a Hinson kit with fiber,springs and plates. so far so good at 29 hours on the 250 and 450.

my bikes started to give clutch problems already. it doesnt slip it doesnt make any noise but it now wont disengauge fully when i pull the clutch in and the motor is idling. i love everything on the bike but this. i thought it might have been the basket with notching already but i called in at the local shop and he thought it could be a broken plate, and to tear into it to have a look. im not going to ride it untill i find out whats wrong and i fix it, but any suggestions on what it could be and why it has failed already? cheers guys! i change the transmission oil every 5 - 10 hours also.

IT'S A HONDA..WHAT ELSE YOU EXPECT LOL. nah bro just messing.. I rode a Honda for yrs

ha.

IT'S A HONDA..WHAT ELSE YOU EXPECT LOL. nah bro just messing.. I rode a Honda for yrs

this is the first time anything has been wrong on my bikes since 2006!

and they all were hondas

The factory honda 4 spring clutch is horrible. Every tester complains about the crappy clutch. I had a 2012 crf250r and I now have a 2012 crf450r and had to replace both clutches at about 25-30 hrs. Im not hard on the clutch because I understand how it operates..But the 4 spring design is horrible. Swap it out for a 6 spring and youll never have to do it again. But make sure you replace everything or make sure the other parts arent worn at all. Im in the process of changing the whole clutch again on my 450 because I didnt change the outer basket

The factory honda 4 spring clutch is horrible. Every tester complains about the crappy clutch. I had a 2012 crf250r and I now have a 2012 crf450r and had to replace both clutches at about 25-30 hrs. Im not hard on the clutch because I understand how it operates..But the 4 spring design is horrible. Swap it out for a 6 spring and youll never have to do it again. But make sure you replace everything or make sure the other parts arent worn at all. Im in the process of changing the whole clutch again on my 450 because I didnt change the outer basket

they are 6 spring in the 250.....

anyway i pulled my clutch cover off today and the basket has a fair bit of notching on it. so the question is what clutch basket should i get for the longest life?

just get a hinson basket - also replace the clutch springs on a regular basis. I am sure if you measure yours now they will have a reduced length of about 1-3mm. You can get the Hinson clutch springs or EBC which are both stronger (you won't feel to much of a difference at the clutch lever).