Sign in to follow this  

Ktm exc 450 2005 coolant overflow

Hi I am a new bike user and just purchased a 05 exc Ktm 05 model, but when I stop and let the bike idle after a short ride and let it idle the coolant overflows very badly I have only got the bike with a day, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I want to fix the problem ASAP as I really like it, thanks

Probably just need a new radiator cap. They are known to go bad and cause coolant to spit out real quick (like in just a couple minutes). Also make sure your not over full. Coolant should just cover the core by approx. 10mm when bike is cold. That gives it room to expand when heated but not so much it's forced from the overflow.

• Like 1

Let us know how the new cap works because i have the same problem. I made my own overflow tank with a small aluminum bottle that I zip tied to my radiator. If you want to make one I can put up a picture of mine.

Cap worked today anyways, brought it for two rides and left it idle for 3-4 minutes after each one and had no overflow, cheers guys!!!!

Mine leaks coolant out when it's stone cold from the water pump side drain hole, but once it warms up it doesn't leak at all?? Have no clue... Water pump seals are brand new. Just had full top end rebuild. It only leaks a very small amount and it's not a continuos stream, just the occasional drips.

Mine leaks coolant out when it's stone cold from the water pump side drain hole, but once it warms up it doesn't leak at all?? Have no clue... Water pump seals are brand new. Just had full top end rebuild. It only leaks a very small amount and it's not a continuos stream, just the occasional drips.

Might want to look into replacing the washer seal if the drain screw is tightened to specs.

• Like 1

First change the cap original ktm's come with 1.2 bar pressure cap, for wood and trial riding you need a 1.8bar cap. If with new 1.8 cap the water still overflows you have a very lean carb settings on idle an you must addjust air mix screw if this wouldnt help go for next pilot jet up ;-)

hope it helps

First change the cap original ktm's come with 1.2 bar pressure cap, for wood and trial riding you need a 1.8bar cap. If with new 1.8 cap the water still overflows you have a very lean carb settings on idle an you must addjust air mix screw if this wouldnt help go for next pilot jet up ;-)

hope it helps

Do you need to get a KTM OEM cap or can you get one at an auto parts store ? Does KTM make a 1.2 and 1.8 bar cap ?