Best motocross bike

Hey I'm new to this forum and I've been in moto for awhile and I've done my research on all the bikes. The bike I race right now is a 2001 Honda CR125 and I love racing it but its time for a new bike and I'm looking at getting a newer bike 2010 and up. I've been doing a lot of thinking about going 4 stroke or staying 2 stroke. I really want a 2013 kawasaki KX250F or KTM 150sx. What are your guys thoughts on the best bike for me? I weigh 170 ish pounds and I'm about 6 feet tall and I'm 15 years old.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1380723357.071252.jpg

there's the bike I ride now.

Don't get a 4t unless you've got 2k to rebuild it every year if not more often. Get a 150xc or watever or a new yz125. Why not step up and get a 250 2t?

the cost of me rebuilding it isn't overly a problem. I got that covered. An I don't really want another 125 that's why I was thinking a 150sx but not the xc. What is your opinion on them? Racing wise?

the cost of me rebuilding it isn't overly a problem. I got that covered. An I don't really want another 125 that's why I was thinking a 150sx but not the xc. What is your opinion on them? Racing wise?

Every two stroke fanboy is going to tell you how awful four strokes are and every four stroke fanboy is going to tell you how awful two strokes are. If you are looking for a new bike there is obviously not going to be any problems. Ride a 250f and see if you like it more than your 125, if not get the 150.

Every two stroke fanboy is going to tell you how awful four strokes are and every four stroke fanboy is going to tell you how awful two strokes are. If you are looking for a new bike there is obviously not going to be any problems. Ride a 250f and see if you like it more than your 125, if not get the 150.

that would probley be the best way. But that also brings me to another question. Should I go brand new from the dealer or should I go new as possible in a used bike that is all done up already? Exhaust, slicer, all them goodies?

brand bew, no body wants a molested used bike

my only problem with buying brand new is the price of the bike and then how much extra you have to throw at it to make it how you like it. When you can get a good deal on a bike already done up. Even if I went with getting used. I no the basics of taking a look over the bike but what are some other things to check out?

I think at your size you would be better off on a 250 2t. 250f is a better option than the 150sx as well. You can race the 250 in the 250, 450, or open class. You have a lot of options with a 250 2t.

where I race for my age the classes made for racing isn't on what bike you ride, it's more on the skill level your at and I'm just thinking a 250 2 smoke would be a bit much of a bike for me?

not if you know throttle control... When I was 14 and 15 I raced a 1997 kx250 and when I turned 15 I got a 1999 yz250 bored to a 295. And raced it.

its defiantly a lot to think about. But also another question to be asked. Which is the better choice for the bikes overal weight? Cuz I love have a really light bike like my 125 cuz I can throw it around with so little effort. Edited by 01 CR125 MX3

You don't have to spend $2000 for a rebuild every year for a 4T. The only people who say that have never 1) ridden one 2) don't know how to ride a 4T or 3) don't know how to perform simple maintenance.

All of my 4T bikes had over 150 hours and never had to even adjust the valves. And no, I did not baby them around a track. Oil and air filter, and shifting before I hit the limiter = long lasting bike.

I went to a 2T because of how fun it is.

• Like 3

its defiantly a lot to think about. But also another question to be asked. Which is the better choice for the bikes overal weight? Cuz I love have a really light bike like my 125 cuz I can throw it around with so little effort.

You will never find another bike as light as a 125. Even if you did manage to make a bike as light it would not "feel" as light. 250 2t, 250f and 450 all feel pretty light when riding them. Only time I really notice a difference is putting them on the stand. Its all in the set up.

Sounds like you are a pretty confident and comfortable rider. You would be fine on a 250 smoker. All of the newer 250's have pretty smooth hits. 250 2t and 250f ride very similar IMO. 

You don't have to spend $2000 for a rebuild every year for a 4T. The only people who say that have never 1) ridden one 2) don't know how to ride a 4T or 3) don't know how to perform simple maintenance.

All of my 4T bikes had over 150 hours and never had to even adjust the valves. And no, I did not baby them around a track. Oil and air filter, and shifting before I hit the limiter = long lasting bike.

I went to a 2T because of how fun it is.

i could not agree with you more. Nothing pisses me off more then some little rich kid that thinks mommy and daddy are so jacked that he thinks he can beat the shit piss outta his bike and then get the newest bike out for next season!