Sign in to follow this  

Loose spokes?

Hi everyone, a mate just bought a 2000 cr125 and 90% of the spokes on front wheel are a bit loose and two are floppy, is this just won spokes/nipples or is it something worse? And also is it bad to ride on it (won't be doing any jumps)

Thanks, Dale

I check mine everytime before I ride, it's easy and rims are expensive to buy so they're worth maintaining. I usually find my rear wheel spokes need more attention than my front.

Start at the lock nut and slowly tighten every third spoke (not too much at once or you could throw the rim out) then keep going three times until you have done every spoke. Here are a couple videos that will help

and

Edit: just saw your last comment. Yeah that's not a good sign if they're tight as they'll go but still wobble. I would still try getting the rest of the spokes snugged up like shown in the videos and see if that helps pull the wheel into its proper shape. My best guess is the rim might not be true round if the spokes are tightened down but still wobble since it doesn't sound like they're stripped from your description.

Edited by hellothere2

Long story short, there old and should be replaced.

Buy a truing stand, spoke wrenches, and spoke kit for the rim.

Remove tire, Take dremel with cut off wheel and cut off spokes. Install new spokes threading all same depth to start. Place on truing stand, rotate tightening each nipple half turn at time till tight, then true the wheel to spec.

I check mine everytime before I ride, it's easy and rims are expensive to buy so they're worth maintaining. I usually find my rear wheel spokes need more attention than my front.

Start at the lock nut and slowly tighten every third spoke (not too much at once or you could throw the rim out) then keep going three times until you have done every spoke. Here are a couple videos that will help and

Just beat me. ;)