Conversion to dual sport!

Hello again!

I am fairly new the the crf250x, and I have really been considering converting to dual sport. I've got everything figure out that I need to do as far as rims, tires, hubs, different sprocket, and license plate mount (duh). But my bike is and 05 and does not come stock with a light so as far as a light goes. What do I need to do? Rewind the stator? Completely different stator? And what light do you guys use on yours? PIAA bulb? Could someone please enlighten me upon this topic? And advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you TT! ?

I'm slowly turning my X into a streetable.  I hesitate to call it a dualsport, cause it'll be used only for getting to/from town (3 miles), getting to/from trails, and connecting trails.

Here in Maine we need the whole deal - mirror, hi/lo headlight and taillight, blinkers front and rear, brakelights front and rear and a horn.  So, for me it's just easier to buy a kit like the Tusk DS kit for $159.  

As for the lights - several people have been able to use the stock headlight (or a bright white equivalent) with the stock stator as long as they are judicious on wattage reuirements AND as long as they don't really expect to ride at night.  That's me - I'll never ride it at night so I just need to meet the minimum to keep Johnny Law off my ass.  I have the bright white and it's better than the stocker but still really underpowered at idle rpm.  You can make our headlight work in hi/lo but you need a handlebar switch to make it happen AND it's not gonna be good enough for any meaningful use.  IIRC, you can put a resistor across the tailight and make it a hi/lo LED as well.

If, OTOH, you expect to ride the X like an actual dualsport - you're gonna need an aftermarket stator and I believe a different flywheel to make any meaningful light.  Kits are available from Trailtech in the $3-400 range.

Good luck - I'll be watching this thread for info from other riders as well.

Edited by dukesilver
  • Like 1

That sounds like the best bet for me as well. As I will only be riding to school and work. And I would rather not spend that much just to power a brighter light. My only problem is that my bike doesn't have a headlight to begin with. Would the OEM light wire right up or is there a lot more to it than hooking it up? This would probably be the cheapest route for me.

Mines a 2007 so I cant be certain on the color, but....  If you have a large blue connector hanging loose behind the numberplate then I would imagine a stocker would click right in and go.

However, the stocker's nothing to write home about.  If I was gonna spend some money on a light it would be an aftermarket model.  Better (or at least as good) and cheaper.  Either way, you're gonna need a handlebar switch to handle the hi/lo function if it's needed in SD.

Thanks for the feedback! This is just kind of a winter project for me and so I don't plan on doing this stuff tomorrow or anything. Just trying to get stuff figured out. Good luck to you as well!

I found the plug. FYI Its black on the 05. But are there any aftermarket headlight assemblies out there that the stock stator could power?

Yes, the stock stator can run a 35 watt light, not HID or LED as the power available is AC. SO you will need to run a halogen. If you want to run HID or LED you will need a stator kit like we offer in the link. If you want to boost the output of the aftermarket stator to about 70 watts we also carry a new flywheel.

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/honda-crf250x-high-output-stator-rectifierregulator-year-p-589.html

• Like 1

Thanks Ricky.  So let me see if I have this right.  The stock stator puts out 35W to the lights but it's AC and only a trickle charge of DC to recharge the battery.  Your stator  puts out 40W but it's all DC, so is useable for lights, blinkers, horn, etc. AND charges the battery.

So, if we're happy (satisfied anyway) with the light level - we could use your stator kit with a DS kit and be able to run everything (even headlight hi/lo) and still not have the charge the battery all the time.  If, OTOH, we want a better light, we need the flywheel as well.

Do I have that right or wrong?  Also, is the 35W or 40W at idle or at some sustained RPM?

Don't mean to be a pain, but a lot of us are (read I am) really not with it when it comes to electrical stuff.

Thanks Ricky.  So let me see if I have this right.  The stock stator puts out 35W to the lights but it's AC and only a trickle charge of DC to recharge the battery.  Your stator  puts out 40W but it's all DC, so is useable for lights, blinkers, horn, etc. AND charges the battery.

So, if we're happy (satisfied anyway) with the light level - we could use your stator kit with a DS kit and be able to run everything (even headlight hi/lo) and still not have the charge the battery all the time.  If, OTOH, we want a better light, we need the flywheel as well.

Do I have that right or wrong?  Also, is the 35W or 40W at idle or at some sustained RPM?

Don't mean to be a pain, but a lot of us are (read I am) really not with it when it comes to electrical stuff.

it will charge with a 40 watt draw at about 1/4 throttle. Adding the flywheel will help, but if you run a 35 watt headlight and LED turn signals and LED tail/brake light you dont need the flywheel.