Sign in to follow this  

Bolt broke inside gear shift housing...

The bolt that holds the gear shift on has snapped in to inside the housing. We used a screw extractor from Lowes but it does't seem to be doing the trick. Does anyone have any tricks on getting the entire bolt out and any idea how I find out what exact size bolt to get?

Pictures attached and thanks in advance.IMG_20131001_171412_632.jpgIMG_20131001_171426_365.jpg

Whenever I break heads off bolts (which seems to be A LOT) I usually can get it off by jamming a flathead or a very small center punch and just backing it out. If there's somewhat if an edge on the screw the flat head or center punch will kinda grab in and you can back it out.

I'm going to recommend drill, re-tap and move on. If you try to use an extractor and it snaps off then drilling after that will suck.

Bolts do not tighten by bottoming out in the hole.  They tighten against the threads and the head of the bolt.  That being said, when the head breaks off, the bolt is loose in the hole (unless the threads were already damaged).  As mentioned, sometimes just a small screw driver digging into the jagged break can back it right out, and your threads will still be good.  If not, you can buy a left handed drill bit.  As you begin to drill (counter clockwise) down the center of the bolt, the digging in of the drill bit will spin it right out.  Of course once again, this if you haven't already stripped, damaged, or cross threaded the bolt.

I'm going to recommend drill, re-tap and move on. If you try to use an extractor and it snaps off then drilling after that will suck.

I broke off a bolt and drilled it, used an easy out. But the easy outs are case hardened, like a tap--very hard but brittle. The easy out broke off too, luckily I was able to just drill a new hole below the original in jt kickstand.

Be careful if you use an easy out, but they can be effective.

Looks like you may have a bit of corrosion going on in there also.  I would generously apply some penetrating oil like liquid wrench or similar.

As stated before, be very careful with screw extractor (easy out).  They are very strong but the heat treatment that makes them strong also makes them brittle.  They usually break without warning.

I've had great luck with this style.

http://www.seton.com/irwin-hansonand-174-multi-spline-screw-extractors-dd910.html

Irwin-Hansonreg--MultiSpline-Screw-Extra

i did this a few weeks ago i was at this exact same stage as you and i just found a drill bit slightly smaller and drilled the rest out and wiggled the drill bit around was very careful might not be the best option but it defiantly worked ill say i gout about 90-95% of the bolt out