What happens to test bikes when testing is over

What happens to all those bikes anyway? I saw someone ask that somewhere and I would love to know if anyone has any info. Do they get destroyed? Given away? Rebuilt and sold to the public? Hmm...never heard anything about this before.

What happens to all those bikes anyway? I saw someone ask that somewhere and I would love to know if anyone has any info. Do they get destroyed? Given away? Rebuilt and sold to the public? Hmm...never heard anything about this before.

every shop gets test bikes and they will usually keep them or give them to someone they know, however I've seen lots of shops sell their test bikes for. 3-4 k less. As to what the factory does I have no clue .

'Demo' bikes a dealership has, get sold as used or demos. The difference to the end purchaser is a demo has the full warranty in place at time of purchase, the used bike, the warranty started the day it was put into service. A demo will come with a MSO, a used bike, a title in the dealers name.

Manufacturer test bikes as given to magazines typically have the crap beat out so often the manufacturer usually scraps then (IE, the crusher)

yeah that's what I thought. I thought I read someone saying that they just fix them up and send them out as new (magazine bikes). My bike had the clutch plates installed wrong and the oil marks didnt line up. Guess it was a mistake at the factory. I certainly didn't mess with it.

yeah that's what I thought. I thought I read someone saying that they just fix them up and send them out as new (magazine bikes). My bike had the clutch plates installed wrong and the oil marks didnt line up. Guess it was a mistake at the factory. I certainly didn't mess with it.

Not worth the PR risk to 'refurbish'.

Anytime a person is involved, there is the chance of something be done wrong. Hence warranties.

If it's a KTM they sell it to Krannie and tell him it's new. LOL!

Magazine bikes have to be returned like they were delivered  after the test term is over  from what I was reading

I read a few where they did so many modifications  the riders/tester  just bought them outright   since they liked the bike  and back to stock was going to be a pain

not to mention they got a deal

Magazine bikes have to be returned like they were delivered  after the test term is over  from what I was reading

I read a few where they did so many modifications  the riders/tester  just bought them outright   since they liked the bike  and back to stock was going to be a pain

not to mention they got a deal

+1

Cool thank you guys for replying. Always wondered about that.

Usually they sell them as a demo to some poor dealer who has it set around the shop forever and ends up selling it at a loss. Yes I speak from experience here. lol

Most of the OEM's sell magazine test fleet bikes to employees or other industry insiders, for a substantial discount.

If it's a KTM they sell it to Krannie and tell him it's new. LOL!

actually he bought it because it was cheaper then repairing his Honda all the time!   LOL.