Sign in to follow this  

Non-Gripper seat covers?

Does anyone make one?  As much as I try, I'm just not getting along with gripper seat covers (never did) and would like to try something old school.  

In order to give you the best answer, can you describe what you don't like about the gripper covers and why you don't use a stock one?

In order to give you the best answer, can you describe what you don't like about the gripper covers and why you don't use a stock one?

Good question.

I use to ride RM250's, they work best when the rider is willing to move around on them.  The sharp handling that everyone praises comes at a price, and that's a loss of high speed stability, so to counter that straight line loss in stability you need to get your rear to the back of the bike but then slide up to the gas cap when it's time to corner.  It's a high effort way to ride but it does pay dividends.  And after riding RM's this way for more than 20 years (last RM was a '08 RM250 in 2012), I moved on to my current '12 300XC-w. 

Love the KTM, but I still ride it like an RM and that's the problem.  When things get busy I'm finding myself "out of position", more often then not I'm too far back when the corners get tight and simply sliding forward isn't an option because my rear sometimes feels Velcro'd to the seat.  Having a bad hip doesn't help either (someday I will end up with a new one...).

I am currently using the stock cover but not for long, either I find some gear that slides better on the stock seat cover, buy a "non-gripper" seat cover or just buy some light weight vinyl and make my own ~ one of those three things is going to happen.

Interesting... I move around the bike a lot and I couldn't find a seat grippy enough for me. When I sit, I like the seat to be glued to my ass, literally. Because I ride motocross, I went with an Acerbis X seat, which is a very nice solid piece of rubber. It can't wear out and its very grippy, but not in the gripper seat sense, in a proper grip sense. It takes people a while to learn how to ride with the Acerbis seat because it has SO MUCH GRIP, you can pinch with your knees and never have to hold on to the bars. 

Yea, I think in your situation, it may be wise to build your own. Its just finding the right fabric and cutting something identically to the stock seat, which wouldn't be that difficult if you disassemble the stock seat anyway. 

Yea, I'm beginning to think that KTM's just favor riders that do not move around a lot (not a bad thing).  Back when Maico's were king they sort of perfected the "single rider position", not that you didn't move around on them but nothing close to what Japanese bikes required.  That evolved into a Husky thing and then a "all European bike thing" including KTM.  Which isn't bad by any means, it just needs to be learned.  The bigger problem is that I have 30 years of riding experience on mostly Suzuki's, plus I never cared for the gripper seat thing.  And I've seen more than one pro lose his pants because of it ~ and I do not wear suspenders when I ride, so...  If I need to hang on I use my knees because I'm standing up mostly anyways. 

Sounds like I'm just going to have to make my own, or call the local auto upholstery shop. 

You can buy automotive style vinyl at most big fabric shops.  

Easy enough to staple to the underside of your seat pan.

I did mine right over the top of the existing cover, so the old cover holds the foam in place and you can just take it off if it doesn't turn out well.

Talc or Baby Powder on the seat helps alot on my street bike.

Have you tried Armorall or similar product on the seat?

I considered it, but the texture seems to be too rough for Armor-All or something like that, plus I wanted something that wouldn't wear off over the course of a 3 hour Hare Scramble.

You can buy automotive style vinyl at most big fabric shops.  

Easy enough to staple to the underside of your seat pan.

I did mine right over the top of the existing cover, so the old cover holds the foam in place and you can just take it off if it doesn't turn out well.

Talc or Baby Powder on the seat helps alot on my street bike.

This is probably what I'll do, but I never considered laying it over the stock cover just replacing.  Not sure if there's enough room in the seat base for another series of staples.