Sign in to follow this  

Jumps - how to stay on

Hi all

This weekend I hit the MX track for the first time ever. I know I have a lot to learn, but the one thing that freaked me out was taking a jum (nothing big, but taken at a decent speed) and having the sensation of my feet leaving the pegs. I want to know if this is a normal things or if I need to get my weight back a bit more on takeoff.

happens to me so much i dont even feel it. my feet sometimes get like 4 inches off the pegs. what really helps is putting some adhesive sandpaper on your frame right where the foot pegs are. it will give the insides of your feet some extra grip. but just like the guy above said - you gotta squeeze it with your legs more. and practice, practice, practice!!! you will be busting out 70-90 footers like its nothing in no time.

• Like 1

Its natural... Going to happen. As DR11 stated, keeping your legs in contact with the bike will help you feel like you are still connected. Just keep at it, you will get used to it. 

• Like 1

Grip the bike with your legs. The grip tape is a horrible idea. It works great but eats your pants alive. I did it a few times but buying pants was breaking the bank.

As said before it happens a little. Watch guys that are fast. They come up a little, then stomp the bike into the ground on the landing to gain traction when on the power. Just remember practice makes perfect. You will become comfortable over time.

keeping the bike with you has more to do with working the suspension on the face then it does gripping with your legs. Usually beginner riders are really stiff with their legs on jump face and into the air. The key is to be loose and learn the proper motions to make with your body depending on the situation.

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 5

Grip the bike with your legs. The grip tape is a horrible idea. It works great but eats your pants alive. I did it a few times but buying pants was breaking the bank.

As said before it happens a little. Watch guys that are fast. They come up a little, then stomp the bike into the ground on the landing to gain traction when on the power. Just remember practice makes perfect. You will become comfortable over time.

i only put tape where my ankles are, i put it right on the frame. my pants never touch it because they are tucked into my boots

i only put tape where my ankles are, i put it right on the frame. my pants never touch it because they are tucked into my boots

That would work. I had it on the frame, tank and number plates. A little wherever my knees were for grip. Tore the pants to shreds.

That would work. I had it on the frame, tank and number plates. A little wherever my knees were for grip. Tore the pants to shreds.

sound like youre on a whole another level haha

keeping the bike with you has more to do with working the suspension on the face then it does gripping with your legs. Usually beginner riders are really stiff with their legs on jump face and into the air. The key is to be loose and learn the proper motions to make with your body depending on the situation.

Very rightly said that ! Most do the opposite ,but it's the experience already.

You should work your way up starting with the smallest of jumps and learning how to keep those feet glued to the pegs. Body position and throttle control are everything. There is a difference between hitting a big jump and getting a little style and having your feet float over the pegs. The other could possibly be symptom of bad technique and you could be setting yourself up for a bad get off. Find an experienced rider to observe your technique and go from there. Jumping takes hours and hours of learning and cant be taught over the internet. Although you can be pointed in the right direction. Bottom line....If your feet come off the pegs a lot then your technique needs work.

Try the product "stomp grip" if you have trouble clinging to the bike, I have used it but it got so old it flew off on the highway, but it is a great product and will buy it again. If you haven't seen it its like an adhesive backing and bumpy plastic/hard rubber on the front for grip, it works well on the track.

You should be able to keep your feet on the pegs. I'm guessing your technique is either too slow timing wise or just too stiff. Stay on the gas and try bunny hoping the bike. If you stay still or stiff the rebound will push you up. You need to absorb this. How much depends on the jump and your speed.

Hi all

This weekend I hit the MX track for the first time ever. I know I have a lot to learn, but the one thing that freaked me out was taking a jum (nothing big, but taken at a decent speed) and having the sensation of my feet leaving the pegs. I want to know if this is a normal things or if I need to get my weight back a bit more on takeoff.

Where do you ride ?

If you are anywhere on the East Rand then join me for a ride and i will see if i can help you. 

Where do you ride ?

If you are anywhere on the East Rand then join me for a ride and i will see if i can help you.

Thanks Shawn. I'm in Bedfordview, usually ride Chimes, De Wildt and anywhere else I can find. The jumping was only really an issue at Terra-Topia in Fourways. Might head there during the holidays sometime

Thanks Shawn. I'm in Bedfordview, usually ride Chimes, De Wildt and anywhere else I can find. The jumping was only really an issue at Terra-Topia in Fourways. Might head there during the holidays sometime

Ok Cool , I have a couple video's on youtube here is a link 

You can see the kind of jumping we do, let me know if you want to join sometime.