how often to refuel?

Hi,

Im doing the weston supermare beach race next week and was wondering since it is a hour and a half race how long I should be riding before I come in to refuel? Im riding a ktm 125sx in the 125/250 class.
Any advice welcome.

Matt

What level of rider are you, and is this in the sand on/near the beach? 

If you are an expert rider in a sandy race, you will probably want to refuel your bike twice if you have a stock motocross tank.  If you have a 2.5 gallon or more tank, you could get away with probably one pit stop.

Seems like you could do it with one stop at just past the 45 minute mark.

If you are an expert rider in a sandy race, you will probably want to refuel your bike twice if you have a stock motocross tank.  If you have a 2.5 gallon or more tank, you could get away with probably one pit stop.

Thanks! 

Weston was a night made, bike seized up on the first straight 

Thanks! 

Weston was a night made, bike seized up on the first straight 

Dang sorry to hear.  My buddy and I did the top end a few years back on his CR125.. it lasted another 20 hours of riding and the top AND bottom end let go.  

The 125s have to run sooo hard to make power, they wear out fast.  As you found out with the motor seizing on you, the jetting is even more crucial on smaller motors because if it's a little off, that piston skirt will expand quickly into the cylinder wall.  

Guys racing in SoCal expert classes offroad would replace the piston EVERY RACE, and do a bottom end 4 times a year.

Have you fixed the bike yet?  What caused the seizure??

Dang sorry to hear.  My buddy and I did the top end a few years back on his CR125.. it lasted another 20 hours of riding and the top AND bottom end let go.  

The 125s have to run sooo hard to make power, they wear out fast.  As you found out with the motor seizing on you, the jetting is even more crucial on smaller motors because if it's a little off, that piston skirt will expand quickly into the cylinder wall.  

Guys racing in SoCal expert classes offroad would replace the piston EVERY RACE, and do a bottom end 4 times a year.

Hi, took the head and the jug of today and found that the bottom end has seized. The engine was oly rebuilt 5 hours riding ago

I don't know if it helps, but I get about 55-65 miles (depending on how much I'm flogging it) on my tank before I hit reserve.. 

Hi, took the head and the jug of today and found that the bottom end has seized. The engine was oly rebuilt 5 hours riding ago

How many hrs are on the bottom end?? Same thing happened my friend, new top end and bottom end took a dump only a little later