Anyone ride/race with an illness?

I ride a lot and have raced a few times, however I'm a diabetic and it makes it hard at times. I love the sport though and there isn't anything that will stop me from riding!!!! I've had diabetes since I was 11 and I'm now 15. I'm just curious as to how many of you guys have an illness and still ride or race? Diabetes hasn't really made too much of a difference in me riding except If I go on a large ride I'll carry a pack and something with sugar incase my blood sugar drops too low! Other then that I ride all the time(daily) I have lots of trails right behind my house and I just love it. Racing worry a me though. I've done it 3 times and the 2nd race my blood sugar went low quater way threw and I got real light headed and couldn't finish. But it's a thing I love to do so here I am!

How many of you all have a illness but still ride?

My old roommate rode hard, he has diabetes. He would always bring a Snickers candy bar in case his blood sugar tanked, but when he began using HEED (high electrolyte energy drink) supplements, which is full of complex carbs, that would fuel his body's need for sugar very well and the candy bar was almost unneeded.

My father had/mother has diabetes. You MUST take care of yourself. Being ridiculously obsessive over eating right is the way to be. My sisters friends mom ate herself to death my binging on ice cream now and then, with diabetes. It's nothing to mess with.

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped riding between the ages of 14-19 while I was playing football in high school and college. When I was 20 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Doctor order 6 months/12 rounds of the strongest chemo he could because of my age and health he said I could handle it. Right after diagnosis I was bored and only working 2 days a week. I called my brother-in-law who is a farmer and uses 200+ cc bikes to check irrigation. He sold me an XT225 I threw a new battery in it and rode the hell out of it! Riding was a therapy took my mind off of the sickness and helped me keep some weight off due to the steroids I was on to help me gain weight. Chemo ended and I am cancer-free. It's been 7 years now and I have been through quite a few bikes since then. I know that I will continue to ride for the remainder of my life even if the cancer comes back. Spend as much time as you want on your bike if it makes you happy! See you out there!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I raced my first hare scramble sick. Even finished. Couldn't breath worth a darn out of my nose though....Good thing I have pretty good endurance or I'd have quit after the first lap. It was miserable, but I lucked out since my nose ran the whole week ahead the race and the drive to the race, but when I was racing it didn't run at all.....after the race, It ran like heck! I'm sure it's harder, but it's doable. I think if you are going for points and are determined enough to try and win, you'll race it and fight through it.....if you aren't THAT serious I'd probably skip the weekend.

• 6 months later...

Cancer for me, but it's not stopping me from riding. Have slowed down a lot, but still having fun. First 3 months, it was chemo every week, after 3 months, it was every other week, now I'm at every other three weeks, so it's working and doing it job, but at a price. Aside from surgery that had me laid up for 7 weeks going on to 8 now, I'm finally mending up well that I was able to re start chemo again this week. Chemo really gets you tired quick, so on the week that I'm on it, I pretty much don't do a thing than recover. By the middle of the second week while I'm recovering, I have 3-4 days of no pain, no nausea, no nothing and plan out my 3-4 day bike trips. Physically speaking, I don't fall and get jacked like many others, but I do have to content with this and it's affects. Sucks, but what can you do. Unless something awry goes wrong in the next few months, I'm hoping I'll beat this and put it into remission. It all started with colon cancer type 4, also had tumors growing on my right lung and part of my liver. Couldn't go under the knife until I got rid of that. Then just last march, the tumors in my colon completely clogged up my plumbing and I had to have the entire right section of my colon removed, and about 5 inches of my left colon also removed. I'm happy to say despite the Avastin in my system, I was able to recover now going onto to 8 weeks. I'm guessing in a couple of weeks, I'll be wrenching again, and by early to mid June, be out there :ride::devil:

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL
  • Like 1

Cancer for me, but it's not stopping me from riding. Have slowed down a lot, but still having fun. First 3 months, it was chemo every week, after 3 months, it was every other week, now I'm at every other three weeks, so it's working and doing it job, but at a price. Aside from surgery that had me laid up for 7 weeks going on to 8 now, I'm finally mending up well that I was able to re start chemo again this week. Chemo really gets you tired quick, so on the week that I'm on it, I pretty much don't do a thing than recover. By the middle of the second week while I'm recovering, I have 3-4 days of no pain, no nausea, no nothing and plan out my 3-4 day bike trips. Physically speaking, I don't fall and get jacked like many others, but I do have to content with this and it's affects. Sucks, but what can you do. Unless something awry goes wrong in the next few months, I'm hoping I'll beat this and put it into remission. It all started with colon cancer type 4, also had tumors growing on my right lung and part of my liver. Couldn't go under the knife until I got rid of that. Then just last march, the tumors in my colon completely clogged up my plumbing and I had to have the entire right section of my colon removed, and about 5 inches of my left colon also removed. I'm happy to say despite the Avastin in my system, I was able to recover now going onto to 8 weeks. I'm guessing in a couple of weeks, I'll be wrenching again, and by early to mid June, be out there :ride::devil:

You my friend are a champ. I've enjoyed reading you're posts, always entertains me. But on a serious note some things you say teach me lessens that are deeper then just bikes. Much appreciated.

You my friend are a champ. I've enjoyed reading you're posts, always entertains me. But on a serious note some things you say teach me lessens that are deeper then just bikes. Much appreciated.

It's funny how life works. You're a kid/tenn, never worry about anything or even buying toilet paper, then you grow up, get a job, get married and everything changes, you're now buying toilet paper. You then have kids, and again, life changes and all your old perspectives go out the window. Then you learn in your later years that you have cancer, and again, everything changes. Trivial BS, money, everything just doesn't matter anymore. I find myself saying screw the electricity bill, use the central air and dishwasher, that's why we have it. For me, at this stage of my life, there just isn't any guarantees of what's to come later. Who knows what's in store for me in 10 years, 15. Where will I be when I'm 70, what will I be like? It's just different now for me. No more oh save some money to buy this or buy that. For me, it's one day at a time, and all I can do is stay positive and :ride: which keeps me positive. Like so many in my life that had tried to get through to me and tell me not to smoke, or eat better which I never listened, I find myself now fighting the good fight so others don't have to when I see a kid out in the street smoking a cigarette or at a fast food joint eating a greasy burger. They get an earful from me. If I can just get through one of them, my job is done. :devil:

It is funny how life works. I appreciate the wisdom. And Im glad to hear you say your doing better. It's funny how riding a dirt bike can make so many people feel the same way. My grandmother passed away on the 13th and although death doesn't fully affect me until after the burial, dirt bikes are really the only thing can take my mind off things.. It's been hard Losing my grandma since its only been my mom, grandma & I for years now, she lived until she was 90, came to America from Guatemala, married for 70 years & saw her great grand daughter turn 9. The one thing she taught me is that you really can achieve anything you want as long as you fight hard enough for it and always stay humble.

• Like 1

I wish the best for you! I hope you kick cancers A$$! I've been in several positions were I could of smoked a cigarette, or a joint, I always have said no.

I don't want into it..

I've never touched anything "smoke able" to my lips honestly.

Now I'm certainly not the best kid, I have a hard time going to school and doing my work( I wish I could just do it.) but I'm a hard worker at Anything else..

I wish I cared about school half as mush as I cared about bikes. I'm actually a very smart kid but I certainly don't use it for school..

Dirtbikes are awesome tho, if I'm mad about absolutely anything I can hop on my bike and go for a rip and it suddenly doesn't matter..

I wish the best for you! I hope you kick cancers A$$! I've been in several positions were I could of smoked a cigarette, or a joint, I always have said no.

I don't want into it..

I've never touched anything "smoke able" to my lips honestly.

Now I'm certainly not the best kid, I have a hard time going to school and doing my work( I wish I could just do it.) but I'm a hard worker at Anything else..

I wish I cared about school half as mush as I cared about bikes. I'm actually a very smart kid but I certainly don't use it for school..

Dirtbikes are awesome tho, if I'm mad about absolutely anything I can hop on my bike and go for a rip and it suddenly doesn't matter..

Thumbsup. Do your best at school, it's all you can really do. And remember, it's not forever. One day you'll wake up and look back at school and be glad you gave it your best shot. Time flies way too fast, don't take a moment for granted, specially your schooling and the experience you're getting. Bikes for me in word is "freedom". Crazy as this sounds, I ride my bike out in the desert, and pretend I'm soaring over it like flying like an eagle. It's just total freedom for me. Where I can forget everything and all my problems and just enjoy myself. You're cool, keep up the hard work. Later on you'll be glad you did. :devil:

• Like 1

It is funny how life works. I appreciate the wisdom. And Im glad to hear you say your doing better. It's funny how riding a dirt bike can make so many people feel the same way. My grandmother passed away on the 13th and although death doesn't fully affect me until after the burial, dirt bikes are really the only thing can take my mind off things.. It's been hard Losing my grandma since its only been my mom, grandma & I for years now, she lived until she was 90, came to America from Guatemala, married for 70 years & saw her great grand daughter turn 9. The one thing she taught me is that you really can achieve anything you want as long as you fight hard enough for it and always stay humble.

I'm sad you lost your grandmother, but I rejoice in hearing she had 90 wonderful years on this planet of our. That's what I celebrate when I think of my grand parents, that at least they were able to squeeze out a full life where so many don't make it to their 60's.

1999 was the worse year for me. During that summer, I lost my grand mother who basically like you raised me. Later that summer, I lost my other grandmother from my dad's side. Then if that wasn't enough, I lost my dog as well. And right before Christmas, on Dec 18, I lost my dad to a stroke. He was only 59. I didn't hit me until 6 months later.

Riding for me has turned now into a release valve for depression. Though I haven't been riding since Feb, I know I'll be out there again soon, hopefully by June. Riding is basically all I have left. Kid is grown and ready to move on, and there's really not much left for me than to deal with this condition and stay positive.

As crazy as this sounds, I've had it with city living. I want to leave LA and live in the desert. For many decades, that's been my dream. To just go downstairs, gear up, hop on my bike and hit the garage door remote. I don't think it gets any better than that. :devil:

I ride a lot and have raced a few times, however I'm a diabetic and it makes it hard at times. I love the sport though and there isn't anything that will stop me from riding!!!! I've had diabetes since I was 11 and I'm now 15. I'm just curious as to how many of you guys have an illness and still ride or race? Diabetes hasn't really made too much of a difference in me riding except If I go on a large ride I'll carry a pack and something with sugar incase my blood sugar drops too low! Other then that I ride all the time(daily) I have lots of trails right behind my house and I just love it. Racing worry a me though. I've done it 3 times and the 2nd race my blood sugar went low quater way threw and I got real light headed and couldn't finish. But it's a thing I love to do so here I am!

How many of you all have a illness but still ride?

I also have type 1 diabetes and race. I don't feel that it affects me unless I have a low blood sugar. Then everything gets dizzy and light headed. If you are going to be racing, check your blood sugar 45 mins before your moto and check It right before you go to the gate. Get a parent or friend to bring a juice box to the gate in case you feel you need some sugar before going racing hard for 15 mins. Hope this helped dude!

• Like 1