Necessary to: shim the oil pump spring to ensure good oil flow to the top end? ('08-09 450 XCF)?

Just doing research on the 450 XCF as I recently purchased a 2009. Heard something about shimming the oil pump spring. Anyone know specifically what that's about? 

Yes....  you MUST do that.   Also, change out the cam chain tensioner and the oil pump rotors.      If you don't...  you'll be sorry!    I am speaking from every recent personal experience.    My 08 450 xcf was best and the worst bike I've owned.   

Go to KTM talk and read the RF4 forum.   All the good advice is right there.

If my spring measues 38.3 (supposed to be 38.5mm), do I still need to replace the spring and reshim or am I ok with just shimming ? 

Anyone inspected and replaced the oil pump rotors? Curious to know how difficult that is to do and/or where I inspect them and exactly what I'm looking for? 

If my spring measues 38.3 (supposed to be 38.5mm), do I still need to replace the spring and reshim or am I ok with just shimming ? 

Anyone inspected and replaced the oil pump rotors? Curious to know how difficult that is to do and/or where I inspect them and exactly what I'm looking for? 

You should be ok with shimming.  But why not just replace it to have piece of mind.

Yes, EVERYONE has replaced the oil pump rotors.  I think Not too difficult actually.   Again, go to KTM talk and somewhere on there are some instructions.

Do you have the 6 or 7 lobe pump rotors.  The beefier ones are the 6 lobe.

Don't forget to change out the cam chain tensioner as well if it hasn't been done.

Do you have a service manual?  If not, then PM me and I will send you a link to one.

ThanksMaurice,

I was hoping to get my expert insight here on this forum as I don't care to interact with the KTM forum.

Yeah spring will get checked next oil change, soon. And cam chain tensioner is the next purchase.

Where do you get the shims? Or can I just find a 1mm washer that's the same diameter and use it?

you probably have a washer sitting around,approx 1mm thick,that fits in the plug hole & supports the spring[what i remember about 3/8"ish wide],,so ball goes in 1st,then spring,,washer,,plug,,,,even if springs measures good,slap a 1mm washer in to give more pressure.I found all info on this website,just do a search,pumps are easy to replace,,1st pump is under cover where ball/spg goes in,other pump on opposite side,i believe you have to pull clutch,& cover,but that's about all the hard part,,i think 20mm socket to remove & a new bendable washer would be good to replace[but i've replaced old one],,by the way a new spring is $1 somethin,,i got a few.d1

Thanks for clarification on the shim. 

I'll do the pumps over the winter. Only another month or so of riding here in  Utah before it gets too snowy to ride. 

I've been searching on the oil pump thing but can't find anything solid, other than the EXC engine (RFS) pump mods. If anyone has this procedure or what it entails or exactly what I'm doing for the dual cam 07-11, let me know?