Sign in to follow this  

Rmz 250 Low Compression?

So recently I got my new, used dirtbike (a 2005 RMZ 250) and I have a question that possibly has something to do with compression? My RMZ is a lot easier to start than my dads crf250. I can push my kickstart down and start my bike easily with my hand whereas if I tried that with the CRF, I'd have a broken wrist. The kickstart also doesn't start at the very top like other bikes. It's has a bit of free movement before it has resistance. The funny thing is that it starts in 1-2 kicks hot or cold. I've never had to kick it more than twice to get it started and it has good power doesn't ride like it needs a new top end.

Also, the new engine has about 45 hours on it from the old owner. (170 hours total on the odometer) I have the receipt from the full rebuild and how many hours were on it when it was rebuilt. Thanks

Edited by Jthom18

So recently I got my new, used dirtbike (a 2005 RMZ 250) and I have a question that possibly has something to do with compression? My RMZ is a lot easier to start than my dads crf250. I can push my kickstart down and start my bike easily with my hand whereas if I tried that with the CRF, I'd have a broken wrist. The kickstart also doesn't start at the very top like other bikes. It's has a bit of free movement before it has resistance. The funny thing is that it starts in 1-2 kicks hot or cold. I've never had to kick it more than twice to get it started and it has good power doesn't ride like it needs a new top end.

Also, the new engine has about 45 hours on it from the old owner. (170 hours total on the odometer) I have the receipt from the full rebuild and how many hours were on it when it was rebuilt. Thanks

your 2005 Rmz has an odometer? Or you mean hr meter? Nonetheless, if you bike starts up with ease either cold or hot and RUNS good then I wouldn't worry too much about mechanical issues. All you need is to freshen topend. With piston, rings, gaskets. Walla! At 45 it could be time for top end. I say could be only because others on this forum including myself can easily get 60 hrs from a top end due to maintenance and riding style. Not bouncing of the limiter.

your 2005 Rmz has an odometer? Or you mean hr meter? Nonetheless, if you bike starts up with ease either cold or hot and RUNS good then I wouldn't worry too much about mechanical issues. All you need is to freshen topend. With piston, rings, gaskets. Walla! At 45 it could be time for top end. I say could be only because others on this forum including myself can easily get 60 hrs from a top end due to maintenance and riding style. Not bouncing of the limiter.

yeah, I meant hour meter. Lol. I planned on tearing it down this winter to replace the gaskets with my dad so I'll do the piston and rings along with it. I change the oil every 5-7 hours and the air filter gets cleaned every ride. I change the oil filter every other ride. However I don't know how the previous owner maintained it. Hopefully those things will do it. Is there an engine mod that makes a bike easier to start could that be causing this? The bike was raced C class by the previous owner and the owner before him was supposedly Broc Hepler.

Funny you say that because my 08crf250 feels to have more compression than my 12rmz250.  Wonder what that's all about....more leverage on the kick starter....different ratio starter gear....hmmm

yeah, I meant hour meter. Lol. I planned on tearing it down this winter to replace the gaskets with my dad so I'll do the piston and rings along with it. I change the oil every 5-7 hours and the air filter gets cleaned every ride. I change the oil filter every other ride. However I don't know how the previous owner maintained it. Hopefully those things will do it. Is there an engine mod that makes a bike easier to start could that be causing this? The bike was raced C class by the previous owner and the owner before him was supposedly Broc Hepler.

dude if a pro like Broc owned and rode that then I can't help ya lol lol. Joking.. dude does it run well?

dude if a pro like Broc owned and rode that then I can't help ya lol lol. Joking.. dude does it run well?

Hahaha! Yeah, it runs great. I don't think the 45 hours on the new rebuild were hard hours because it still has solid power, no unusual noises, starts right up in 1-2 kicks, etc. the kickstart it self just feels very strange. When I try to get a full kick, it doesn't really feel like one. Lol

Hahaha! Yeah, it runs great. I don't think the 45 hours on the new rebuild were hard hours because it still has solid power, no unusual noises, starts right up in 1-2 kicks, etc. the kickstart it self just feels very strange. When I try to get a full kick, it doesn't really feel like one. Lol

dude if it runs great and no weird noses.. then don't even worry bout it son! As far as the kickstarter, maybe that's just the way it is. After all if it was Heplers bike, there could be some crazy mods in that tranny

dude if it runs great and no weird noses.. then don't even worry bout it son! As far as the kickstarter, maybe that's just the way it is. After all if it was Heplers bike, there could be some crazy mods in that tranny

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully it's not a problem. Thanks for all the help!