#KTMProbs

So, I've been riding a 2011 kx250f. I'm looking for something with a little more umph yet not quite up to the power of a 450f. I'm only 130 pounds. I've been looking at KTM 150sx's or 350sxf's. I know the 150sx is going to be around the power of my kx250f but I'm still interested in it.

I've heard very little honest positive things about these bikes. Mostly about how unreliable and finicky they are. Not to mention the transmission recall(s)... It seems like where ever I go, there are just a handful of people ready to blast these bikes. I keep hearing the same things. Anyone here have any input before I blow them off altogether?

Thanks.

I hate kx's does that help? They are too loud, an obnoxious color and the absolute worst for reliability. After all they are built by a heavy machinery corp... They must be aweful.

Seriously. Every bike has its issues and if its serious ktm is up there with the best of them to make it right. You will be on the leading edge of the orange wave in your neck of the woods.

The KTM 250f has the highest hp of all the 250f's, so if you are looking for more power then there you have it.

Don't get too caught up in thinking that a bigger bike is a faster bike, the 250f's consistently lap just about as fast a 450, sometimes faster.  In your case at 130 pounds I would stick with a 250f, heck, I'm 165 and would ride a 250f if I could afford a second bike.  Honestly, unless you are going to go pro then you owe it to yourself to ride as many different bikes as you can.  You will like some more than others but right now there really is no bad 250f, and if it doesn't have the power your looking for modify it or sell it in the first year for a minimal loss and move on.  But if your looking for more power and want to stand out buy a 250SX (two stroke), more power, less weight and way more fun!

2007 or older ktm200 is what i would be looking for if i was your size. Low seat, low weight and tons of power.

Forgot to say what type of riding I'm doing. Strictly motocross. A KTM 200 doesnt really interest me at the moment. Seat height honestly doesn't bother me either. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Edited by Watterson405

I hate kx's does that help? They are too loud, an obnoxious color and the absolute worst for reliability. After all they are built by a heavy machinery corp... They must be aweful.

Seriously. Every bike has its issues and if its serious ktm is up there with the best of them to make it right. You will be on the leading edge of the orange wave in your neck of the woods.

Something tells me you're slightly biased... Lol

• Like 1

The KTM 250f has the highest hp of all the 250f's, so if you are looking for more power then there you have it.

Don't get too caught up in thinking that a bigger bike is a faster bike, the 250f's consistently lap just about as fast a 450, sometimes faster. In your case at 130 pounds I would stick with a 250f, heck, I'm 165 and would ride a 250f if I could afford a second bike. Honestly, unless you are going to go pro then you owe it to yourself to ride as many different bikes as you can. You will like some more than others but right now there really is no bad 250f, and if it doesn't have the power your looking for modify it or sell it in the first year for a minimal loss and move on. But if your looking for more power and want to stand out buy a 250SX (two stroke), more power, less weight and way more fun!

The reason I haven't really looked at 250 2t's is because I also have a JGR 2011 yz450f that's almost not even fun to ride anymore because of the abundance of power. I've never ridden a 250 smoker but the fact that they race with 450's tell me all I need to know. If anyone could offer some opinions on the power of a 250 2 stroke compared to a 450, please go ahead. Going to look into selling that bike for this next one. Any local takers...? Haha

1380762373173.jpg

Never rode a 450 yet, but I could keep up with my cousin, who has 25years of riding experience on his crf450. I was riding my RM250 at the time. Now I don't think the 250 has as much power, and that is because I am use to it, same with the 300(it has way more torque) They say a 250 can keep up with a 450, but I think it's really the torque of a 450 is why they are really powerful. if you are riding woods, I would suggest the 200 over the 150, you will have a bit more torque than the 150.

Every bike has its issues... Suzuki has its transmission and high speed stability issues, Yamaha has its lack of power and horrible handling, Kawasaki also has horrible handling and loads of bottom end issues and Honda... lets just say, Honda's got a great cockpit, excellent handling, but man the top ends fall apart easily. 

The nice thing about KTM is that they are constantly improving, making changes to the design in order to shave weight AND keep the same reliability. 

My personal experience with KTM's have been positive, all from one issue which was caused by the original owner being an ass-hat. If you maintain KTM's the way the service manual says you need to, don't skimp out on anything at any time, even if parts look new... then there won't be any issues. KTM's require responsible owners and if you don't wanna be responsible, if you're goal is to ride the bike until it fails, then don't buy a KTM. But if you truly want an excellent bike which is quicker then its rivals, yet has an awesome cockpit, great handling and chassis to die for... KTM is really the only way to go. 

I have logged over 400hrs between 3 KTM's and all of them have been out-right stellar machines, I wouldn't think about buying another brand. 

Well, I owned a '08 RMZ-450 before buying my RM-250, and then have spent some time borrowing a friends 450sx ('07 ~ I think) and I've been running a 300XC-w now for two years.

So...

A 250 2 stroke like a 250SX, will "feel" 40 pounds lighter than your 450 (maybe 20 pounds actual), because the 450's and 4 stokes in general "feel" top heavy.  Where as a 2 stoke carries it's weight a lot lower and closer to it's CG so they always feel more nimble.  Power wise the rpm limits are about the same (250 2t vs. 450) but the higher low end power of a 450 makes it possible to shift less and pull higher gears, where the 250SX will be clutching and spinning but if the traction is there the fun meter will be pegged!  And I hate to open this can of worms ... but ... from my experience 2 strokes are cheaper and easier to maintain.  Beyond top end replacements, chain & sprocket sets as well as rear tires do not last as long on a 450. 

In the end (to me) a 2 stoke is easier and cheaper to live with and is just more "fun" due to it's light weight and zippy power bands.  If you were super serious about racing and can afford to properly maintain a 450 then buy one, although a skilled 2 stroke rider can give any 4 stroke all they can handle, so it all boils down to how big is your wallet ~ how serious are you ~ and how well do you stack up against your competition?

Although, at 130 pounds we should be talking about 250f's and 150 2t...

• Like 1

I can't imagine what negative you have heard about a 150, the 350 on the other hand had some major issues in 11, the 12s were a little better and the 13s were good. At your size I would think a 150 would be great, most of the kids I know that ride the 200 class ride 150s because they are light.

Appreciate the info guys. I'm not meaning to sound like some kid who just wants to be on a huge bike even if it doesn't fit him. I've logged plenty of hours on a 250f and was just wondering if there's a nice step I could move to before a 450. I definitely ride within my limits, don't get me wrong about that.

Does anyone here have any experience with a 350sxf compared 450f? The reason I'm comparing to a 450 is just because I'm not wanting anything else like that yet.

I am roughly 135lbs and recently bought an 09 150 SX strictly for motocross (although I just ride for fun and don't race).  The bike is a blast to ride, and I have had absolutely zero problems with KTMs, as they are actually the only bikes I have personally owned. If you put the effort in to maintain the bike, then it will last longer; and that goes for any bike you own.  The 150 SX is a screamer, so be prepared to ride it like a bat out of hell, otherwise you're not using it to it's full poential.  

• Like 1

+1 on the 150sx. I picked mine up in January and it has been flawless, still gets better every ride. I've done tight single track, flowing trails and a lot of mx, it's been the perfect bike for me in every place i've ridden it. In all those rides I've never fouled a plug, or had to tweak anything. Fresh air filter every ride, fresh gear oil every 5-7 hrs and good gas, it's been a one or two kick bike since I got it. I can't recommend the 150sx enough, hands down the most fun I've ever had on a bike. I like it so much I sold the rest of my bikes and only have the 150 now. Haven't missed the other bikes a bit.

• Like 2

The reason I haven't really looked at 250 2t's is because I also have a JGR 2011 yz450f that's almost not even fun to ride anymore because of the abundance of power. I've never ridden a 250 smoker but the fact that they race with 450's tell me all I need to know. If anyone could offer some opinions on the power of a 250 2 stroke compared to a 450, please go ahead. Going to look into selling that bike for this next one. Any local takers...? Haha

the 250 2stroke has plenty of power.  It has way more than "enough".   Its not as much as a yz450, but its plenty.

But, if the yz450f overwhelms you with power, then you may need to step down to less than a 450 and less than a 250 2 stroke.    I think that the 250 2t is harder to ride in some respects.  You have to be much  more aggressive with it to maintain your momentum.   Its a different kinda ride because it makes power in a much different way.

I hope you know what you are getting into...

the 250 2stroke has plenty of power. It has way more than "enough". Its not as much as a yz450, but its plenty.

But, if the yz450f overwhelms you with power, then you may need to step down to less than a 450 and less than a 250 2 stroke. I think that the 250 2t is harder to ride in some respects. You have to be much more aggressive with it to maintain your momentum. Its a different kinda ride because it makes power in a much different way.

I hope you know what you are getting into...

Yeah I mean the yz450f isn't unbearable or anything. I can ride it and everything. I would just prefer something a little less for my weight.

Yeah I mean the yz450f isn't unbearable or anything. I can ride it and everything. I would just prefer something a little less for my weight.

This makes sense. Just last week, I got rid of the 450 that I have spent my entire life savings on trying to keep it running.  I love, love, love the power of that bike and its not all that heavy til I drop it.   I replaced it with a ktm 300 smoker that is crazy, crazy light.   Its not as torquey but I do have to start keeping the rpm's up a little.   I tuned the power valve to make it pretty linear in power delivery like a 4 stroke.    Its not the same, but its more like a 4 stroke than a 250 would be.    I have to adjust and learn to be more aggressive and use my clutch hand a whole lot more.   That is the difference.

Good luck with your choices.  

Edited by mauricedorris