Sign in to follow this  

Got some ? Off a DRZ to a KTM400

Hi everyone, I just jumped off of my DRZ400E onto the '07 400 XCW and I have a few questions.

1. I just learned that there are 2 oil filters, are they identical?

2. The bike seems to be running lean, anyone have suggestions for jetting?  85* - 95* Avg Temp/ Sea level - 500' Elevation

I know JD is a good choice but it's pretty cookie cutter. I want to try to tune a little more specific to my environment.

3. Clutch disengages but seems to be dragging, is this normal?

I appreciate the help....Thanks!!!

1. No, There is a long and a short filter.

2. Sorry, can't help. Mine has been spot on from day one, and haven't had a need to change it.

3. Mine has always dragged a little, especially when the oil is still cold. Once oil is at operating temp the drag mostly disappears.

Thanks.....Does anyone have filter part numbers to order from TT?

As for the Jetting I know this thing is begging for more fuel...All the pops coming out the back reminded me of when my DRZ would be running out of fuel. Has anyone here started a thread for Jetting that is specific, Base line jetting at leased? Most threads I've read on this forum all jump to the JD kit but I dont want to pay to have a needle and extra jets lying that Ill NEVER use  for that price. I want to buy one needle, MJ, PJ, LJ, and a fuel screw and be done with it like I did for my DRZ....which at this point feels like a 450cc because I am not jetted right.

By the way are there any BB kits?

On a side note, how does the two bikes compare? these are the two bikes i have found myself debating between

I previously owned a drz400e and now own a KTM450exc. The KTM requires more frequent oil changes, but it is much lighter, has more power and utilizes a wide ratio 6 speed transmission. I always reached for a non-existent higher gear on the DRZ on high speed runs. Both bikes are a lot if fun depending on your needs.

FOR ME! KTM all the way....Don't get me wrong though I just got off this Yellow bike ('00 DRZ400 Real "E")

IMG_20130713_165449_zpse20693d9.jpg

To this Orange one ('07 KTM400 XC-W)

20131003_175633_zps5e486479.jpg

Now let me explain the differences....In my opinion!!!

First off when I was considering getting the KTM I did a little research first on this bike and references were few so let me add one more for the others trying to decide. They are both AWESOME bikes either way you go, it's just preference on what you are looking to do on them that you have to decide on.

The DRZ is perfect for people who are afraid of tinkering because they might accidentally mess something up. The DRZ has so much support behind it that even if something did go wrong your resources for this bike are endless and help is a mouse click away. When I ask for jetting advice on the DRZ forum I got an answer in 10 minutes. It's been days on 2 different KTM forums and there has been NOTHING so far for jetting help on this bike. Parts for the DRZ are all over the place because it is practically the same bike for the most part from 2000-2014. The engine TO ME has way more torque, on my Real "E" the front always wanted to come up off the ground. Now it might have something to do with gearing too but with the FCR jetted with the MRD/SSW exhaust the DRZ wanted to GO!!! The KTM seems to be tame (I will follow up after I re-tooth)  As for the oil I would change it every 400 miles I think some people would do it 500-600 and still be okay which was nice at $40 a pop. I have heard the KTM's have to be changed more often and this bike has 2 filters to change out..doing mine for the 1st time this week. Another thing is the cooling seemed to be more efficient on the DRZ, I never boiled over even in traffic (NO FAN) and I am 13* north of the equator. With the KTM I had to wire up a fan to cool it down. 

One main reason though I prefer the KTM over the DRZ is it feels WAY LIGHTER to ride on the track or the trails, even though on paper it is only 15lbs lighter than my "E" it feels more like 50lbs lighter, the DRZ is a FAT PIG. After a ride on my DRZ I would be wore out!!! with the KTM I feel like I could go all day and then some. The suspension on the KTM is SICK!!! this thing soaks up bumps and ruts like you won't believe and when you get big air between the tires it feels like you're landing on pillows. The hydraulic clutch can be used with one finger and the shift lever is perfect to me, I felt like I had to fight to get my foot under the one on the DRZ. Another thing that is AMAZING about this KTM bike is that it will allow me to shorten the ratio in 1st and still give me decent top end on 6th which on the DRZ is absent, it's either a short 1st and slow top speed or decent top speed and TALL 1st because you are limited to 5 gears...SUCKED!!! Perfect though for the SM owners who sit on their butts the whole time and cruise but for the dual sport riders it's terrible. Another good thing is the added kick starter which is a great back up that you can add on the DRZ, but it's more weight again. And last is the LOOKS of the KTM's have always been polished to me, it just looks quality!!!

The one down side to the my KTM is the LACK OF RESOURCES. For my '07 400 XC-W I have yet to find a thread that is specific to this bike with any substance. Jetting thread NONE, Exhaust thread NONE, Upgrades thread NONE. I feel like they only made one bike and I own it. And NO, it's not because it's ready out of the box because trust me there is a lot of room for improvement, especially in the HP department. And I KNOW getting a 450cc would solve that but I live on an Island in the middle of the pacific which is closer to Japan than any other US property so KTM's here are few and far between. I just got mine from a Navy guy who shipped it in from North Carolina so I have to work with this one. GREAT BIKE, but I think it could be better with a little help.

SO if there is anyone out there with expertise on what to do to get more power out of this baby I am all ears and I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Good info...I sold my DRZ a few days ago and am looking for a 400 or 525...Check out the pinned section at the top of this forum.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/393425-ktm-rfsrc4-faq-03-04-12-500exc-parts-manual/

It seems to have info on the carb which is FCR39 same as DRZ. Should be easy for you to richen your bike. Also, get a manual. That will help a lot. As you've noticed, the support for KTM's is less. You have to do more searching on your own. Enjoy the bike looks cool.

Okay here is what I had in my carb
178MJ
45PJ
OBDVR Needle 3rd clip 
Fuel screw 1.5 turns

This set up had very poor transition between 1/2-WOT, it was bogging like crazy at full throttle and then had killer decel popping. As I suspected the needle was causing it to be very lean in the beginning and then at WOT it was way too rich.

Here is what I changed it to....WAY BETTER!!!!
165MJ
45PJ
OCEMP Needle 3rd clip
R&D Fuel screw 2 turns out
Oring MOD

The new set up I now have a very smooth idle, amazing transition throughout the throttle range and now there is very little popping if any during decel. HUGE DIFFERENCE in power too!!!!

All in all it cost me
Needle $15
Main Jet $4
R&D Flex Jet fuel screw $29
Oring $0.10

=$48.10

Cost to have a bike that runs like a champ....PRICELESS!!!

The cheapest JD kit I found was $65 and you don't get a extended fuel screw, but you do get extra parts to help you collect dust. I am not hating I'm just stating my point of view. If you take the time to research or get help it will save you some $$$ and get you a little more tuned for your specific climate and elevation. I do appreciate all the companies like JD take care of the people who just don't want to bother, but for the others here is another option.

Mind you I am @ sea level and it is ALWAYS warm here so if you are in the same climate and elevation this will work for you.

On a side note, how does the two bikes compare? these are the two bikes i have found myself debating between

i own both a 450xc-w and a DRZ. used to ride the DRZ in the woods until i got my KTM. still ride the DRZ on the street.

how do they compare? they don't. the KTM blows the DRZ away in every single respect except being able to totally neglect it.

they aren't even in the same league in dirt...not even remotely close. the KTM is way lighter, has way better suspension, is way better balanced, is way more responsive, has way more power, etc. etc.

the KTM is also a significantly more fun street bike (mine is plated). more power, more flickable, way easier to wheelie (er, i guess you shouldn't be doing that), etc.

the DRZ does have the advantage of being able to eat up mile after mile while being totally neglected and just keep coming back for more, though. the KTM can't do that (though it is quite reliable and the maintenance is nowhere near as bad a some internet denziens who have likely never owned one make it out to be).

Okay here is what I had in my carb

178MJ

45PJ

OBDVR Needle 3rd clip 

Fuel screw 1.5 turns

This set up had very poor transition between 1/2-WOT, it was bogging like crazy at full throttle and then had killer decel popping. As I suspected the needle was causing it to be very lean in the beginning and then at WOT it was way too rich.

Here is what I changed it to....WAY BETTER!!!!

165MJ

45PJ

OCEMP Needle 3rd clip

R&D Fuel screw 2 turns out

Oring MOD

The new set up I now have a very smooth idle, amazing transition throughout the throttle range and now there is very little popping if any during decel. HUGE DIFFERENCE in power too!!!!

All in all it cost me

Needle $15

Main Jet $4

R&D Flex Jet fuel screw $29

Oring $0.10

=$48.10

Cost to have a bike that runs like a champ....PRICELESS!!!

The cheapest JD kit I found was $65 and you don't get a extended fuel screw, but you do get extra parts to help you collect dust. I am not hating I'm just stating my point of view. If you take the time to research or get help it will save you some $$$ and get you a little more tuned for your specific climate and elevation. I do appreciate all the companies like JD take care of the people who just don't want to bother, but for the others here is another option.

Mind you I am @ sea level and it is ALWAYS warm here so if you are in the same climate and elevation this will work for you.

A proven set up with OCEMP needle is, 42p, 162m and clip in the 5th position.

A proven set up with OCEMP needle is, 42p, 162m and clip in the 5th position.

Yeah I read that somewhere....162m and 42p is on it's way although I really think I hit the spot with the set up I have now. I will try them both though and post how they compare.