My XR400 build (two years in the making)

First off I want to say that there are some things I probably did that some here will think is ridiculous or unnecessary. I would ask that any comments to the negative be kept to yourself. I did what I did because I wanted to do it. It might be function, it might be vanity, it might be experimentation, it might be just because. Regardless I spent two years getting everything together, and my mechanic has been diligently putting my vision into a functional machine over the past couple of months while I have been recovering from a total knee replacement.

So here we go.

1996 Honda XR400. 

First was the suspension and controls. I have an Applied Racing upper triple clamp with Moose Racing Cross Country bend 1 1/8" bars. Suspension was removed and sent to Works Enduro Rider in New Jersey for a full rebuild with valving, springs and hard anodizing. Galfer wave rotors were installed front and rear. 

For the body I installed an Aloop tank and seat kit. Also added a little bling in the form of a red anodized case saver and oil drain bolts.

Now for the motor. Oh boy did I have fun with this. Knowing that I was going in for a total knee replacement on my RIGHT knee, I wanted to install an electric start to take some of the stress off the old kicking leg. I purchased most of the parts from the TRX400ex off of ebay over the course of about a year and a half. While researching I came up with the bright idea that If I'm going to have to tear this completely apart to do this I might as well "Go BIG or go home".

I now have a TRX400ex stroker crank installed with the largest bore available. That makes this bad boy a 460cc stroker with a 10.5:1 piston in it. With that much displacement I went with GT Thunder heavy duty head bolts to keep everything tight and contained. I also installed an EFM auto clutch to harness the power and keep it going to the rear. With this auto clutch the harder you push it the harder its supposed to grab limiting slip to initial engagement where you need it. 

With that much displacement you need to work over the head to feed the beast. I installed a stage 2 hotcam, a full Kibblewhite valve kit with springs and oversize valves, and had the head ported.

Now I need to feed this thing! The solution is the BSR42 carb with the Motion Pro twist throttle kit. To get rid of all that consumed fuel I have a full FMF system with the Powerbomb header and Q4 exhaust can.

Converting over to the TRX400ex system, I changed the stator and wiring harness over and installed a Dynatek rev box to just help it along a little bit more. My mechanic custom built a battery box with a mount for the solenoid under the left side number plate.

I just brought it home tonight and rode it around my property to get a feel for it. Wow!!This is a totally different machine. I weigh between 240 and 250 and had to excercise a lot of throttle control to keep the front end on the ground and the back end underneath me. Crisp snappy throttle response and a mid range that could pull stumps out.

The auto clutch engages nicely, although I will probably play with it as time allows. It does make a funny noise sometimes while engaging, but I'm assured that is normal for this clutch and not to worry about it..

The e-start is incredible. It fires right up and it's only about 45 degrees outside right now. This is going to save me a lot of wear and tear on the new knee.

I am so glad to finally have this done. It has been a long time coming. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can get some riding in before winter really sets in.

I have to go meet with a client right now, so I will leave you to digest this for a while.  I will return shortly with a few pictures to post up since I know some will be screaming if I don't.

• Like 1

That XR400 has one of the sickest builds ive ever seen.

I would LOVE to see a video.

I would also like to see how it goes up against a modern liquid cooled 450!

Well congrats on an amazing build...

Cannot wait to hear your reports on the motor. Any guess on hp numbers? Possibly 40hp? And yes I know hp does not matter just curious.

Pretty darn stoked to hear how the suspension works. My guess you spent a pretty penny getting her set up.

You buy your Aloop kit new?if so Did Pete Dennison mention any upgrade to the newer CR shrouds for the kit?

Where in Wyo are you? Would love to see this beast rip.

No idea about hp. It finally has enough power that I will have to learn throttle control or end up on my back.

I probably won't get much riding in for a while. We are supposed to have 8-14 inches of snow on the ground by Friday afternoon.

I'm in Sheridan, WY by the way.

• Like 2

Negative comments!?! Who could make a negative comment about that beast!?! That thing looks and (by your description of work and parts added) sounds awesome!!! Have fun!!!

Dude, very nice.... Just curious but what is the front number plate on your XR460R? (<-------  Ha!that just sounds funny) And is that the stock front fender?  I want to get rid of the front headlight and XR plate so that I can get decent numbers and a front plate that doesn't look goofy.  Our bikes look very similar minus the a loop and that my bike has 210 less cc's. 

I have since took off the yellow backgrounds, thank god.  I had to run them for a series I was in. 

MountVernon-20130711-00165_zps12a9a076.j

MountVernon-20130711-00164_zps523af205.j

Nice job!!  :thumbsup: Sounds like one hell of a fun bike!

Are you running stock gearing with the AC? I would think you could gear up some and the AC would still let you chug up and over anything at a crawl still. Enjoy it!! 

I still have my mountain gearing on with a 48 tooth rear, but with the auto clutch I'm thinking I'll be able to go with a 46 or 45 now. I have both and will be playing with that.

how do you like the EFM auto clutch? im thinkin of doin it to my 87 cr250..... what was the price you got quoted?  did u buy a new  clutch basket or was the old one usable?

cpetz24, the number plate is an Acerbis universal plate. You also have to get a universal mounting system seperately. Not sure if they even make them anymore. The front fender is an Acerbis stock replacement fender.

I'm also calling the bike a "Special Edition XR460-e". Thinking I might do some custom shroud graphics with that on it too. Just for vanities sake.

PunchDrunk101, I like the EFM so far. I only have one evenings ride time on it around my property, so before a definitive review can be made I need to spend more time with it.

I was quoted $695. You send them your complete clutch (they prefer all stock components) and they custom build the clutch using your components. For me it was $721 total with tax and shipping back to me.

same quote i got cool ...yeah ive been dying to try one first or even a rekluse just to see how i like it before i spend the cash let me know your thoughts ...and all that snow is making me jealous riding around in the snow is awsome!!! 

Dude, very nice.... Just curious but what is the front number plate on your XR460R? (<-------  Ha!that just sounds funny) And is that the stock front fender?  I want to get rid of the front headlight and XR plate so that I can get decent numbers and a front plate that doesn't look goofy.  Our bikes look very similar minus the a loop and that my bike has 210 less cc's. 

I have since took off the yellow backgrounds, thank god.  I had to run them for a series I was in. 

MountVernon-20130711-00165_zps12a9a076.j

MountVernon-20130711-00164_zps523af205.j

WHat side number plates are those? They look great!

The side plates are the stockers. I figured since you can't get number plate backgrounds for a XR anyways why not make them look a little less dated.   What I did was got on the almighty GOOGLE and looked up a picture of a 2011 CRF450 and then took a picture of my bike from the same angle.  I then put them side by side in paint and used the brush to black out the picture of my bike's side plates till they looked as close to the CRF.  I then took the picture and some tape on the real bike and taped it off till it looked like the picture did and took a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut them down.  I wish I still had the picture I used so that I could put it up here for others to use if they wanted, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. 

Trust me, I was a little sketched out to be cutting into perfectly good plates, but it actually turned out just how I wanted it.      TIP: If you plan on doing it, wear safety glasses because trust me melted plastic from a cutoff wheel going into your eye is not enjoyable.

I've got half a mind now to try and see if I can fit some CRF plate backgrounds to the cut down plates, but I've got a feeling it might not work like I want.  

• Like 1