Sign in to follow this  

2014 CRF250R head pics

Not sure if these are of any use to you, but I yanked this new head off to put a Hamp ported head and big cam on so figured I would take some pictures before I boxed it up for storage. Same valve sizing as 2013, tons of meat to remove for more flow on the intake side:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Image (190).jpgImage (190).jpgImage (190).jpgactually I left a lot more in the 2014 250 and got the same peak flow and more through the entire curve.

Edited by Ron Hamp

So I should send you this new head, huh?

Edited by Eddie8v

I noticed that the muffler exit holes in the 250 duals are substantially larger than in the 450 dual... hmmmm

Edited by Eddie8v

Hey Ron. Just picked up a 2014 CRF 250R for my son today. Wondering if the Hamp head and cam off his 2012 would work or do I need to have a new head done?

Wow that valve train looks so different.. loooks sick.is it a new design?

It's been pretty much the same since they added fuel injection in 2010.

I am not sure if the engine mounts differ or not (motor a bit wider at the countershaft doesn't necessarily mean that the motor and/or swingarm mounts were changed) but the head mounts will bolt right up as the head mount locations did not change.

My pre-2014 ported head bolted up just fine:

IMG_00000237_zps4b7baa16.jpg

Edited by Eddie8v
  • Like 1

The motor mounts are positioned the same as the 2010-13 chassis.  The 2014 center case gasket is the same as the 2013.

The older motors will bolt in but may require some work to line up the counter sprocket with the rear sprocket.

Eddie,

Have you ridden the bike with the ported head and what cam did you use?

It's essentially the same motor I have used in all my modded 250 from 2010 to present so there were no surprises other than slight ECU fueling and spark changes as I didn't want to mess with mounting the 50mm TB I usually use vs the 46mm on the bike, plus I wanted it mapped to the stock exhaust for some people that want it quiet and "stock looking". Motor is great, it was a TUF head, made by Ron Hamp with his biggest camshaft. Similar motor to the one Friese used in the outdoor Nationals this year, I think he got 1 holeshot? Cam is huge and the intake lifter bores are enlarged to 24mm, from 22.5, and DLC-coated buckets are used, this improves valvetrain reliability and longevity with the huge cam's aggressive ramps. He has a milder cam that you can use with the stock buckets at the sacrifice of only a couple of hp. The motor is like cheating vs a stock motor. Ron's mod's might seem costly at first, but you'll soon realize that you have the fastest bike on the track and it will last forever. I helped a national Pro mx'r with the same motor and he used it half a season then sold it to a Canadian pro who used it for 1.5 seasons and all they did was change pistons. Bike was sold again but I never got the new owner info...

If anyone is in the market for the head, a complete motor or a complete race-ready bike please let me know, I have some extras right now.

Edited by Eddie8v

Im quite sure that the 2014 head casting ported to RHC specs is the head to use .Thanks to Honda to keep upgrading the casting and not changing the layout so that the newer heads can be adapted to the older model years.In every case the changes have been an improvement on the 2004-2009 crf the 2007 head was the choice of most tuners to start with.

Thanks Eddie and Ron. Appreciate the help and info.

With the RHC cam and larger buckets, how often are you replacing springs and retainers?

I was told by Varner every 20 hours. 

With the RHC cam and larger buckets, how often are you replacing springs and retainers?

I was told by Varner every 20 hours.

Mine has 40 hours and valves havent moved everything still looks new. Im about to change valves and get the seats cleaned up just coz...not sure if springs need changing but im guessing not

I second the changing of the springs and retainers at 40hrs while it's apart, especially if the retainers are Ti.