Sign in to follow this  

2014 KTM 150 sx not starting

Hey guys, i just bought a 150 sx (literally 2 weeks ago) and took it out riding only twice. I decided to run it this week in my driveway and it worked a minute or two and then it bogged and died. i tried kicking it and got it again and it started and died again. Since then it hasn't started with over 300 kicks and ive checked fuel and choke. Im not sure whats going on with it and want to ride this weekend. It was giving a lot of smoke before it broke (not sure if that has anything to do with it). I haven't run it at high revs either becuase im used to 4 strokes. if you know anything let me know.

you should try a new plug, you probably fouled it considering the info you've given....

Edited by mynewcr250

thanks for the info guys, ill check the plug.

For future reference, two strokes like to be revved high!

Im not sure of the exact reasoning, but I think that low revs fowl a plug on a two stroke because of carbon build up.

Can someone confirm?

its jetting. you can ride in low revs for long periods of time when trail riding but you need to be jetted for it.

the SX line is jetted for motorcross so they use a needle with a really rich 1st taper and a very short straight section so if you set your idle a little to high youre already on the 1st taper and its just too rich to idle it like that.

im not sure about the '14, but the '13 comes with the NOZI needle which is exactly the same as the N1EI needle that comes on the 250sx except its a half clip leaner varient.

the stock needles work fine, but definitely feel rich if youre really light on the throttle. works really well if you ride aggressively though.

The stock jetting on that and all KTM 2T bikes is for about 2000' and 70°.

Here is your jetting chart for the 2014 150sx. It is based on pump gas, not race fuel. Make sure you are jetted for your elevation AND temperature before you start it again.

The motor you save will be your own!

14KTM150sxJettingChart_zpsa29deb58.jpg

Dealer warranties these bikes for a month!  Have them "fix it," since it's "broken," and then rejet the bike to the specifications in the manual they gave you.  The jetting specs found in that manual are very accurate.