First Oil Change=First Problem

Long story short, I was doing the first oil and filter change on 2014 500 EXC and the top screw for the filter housing will not tighten!!!  Has anyone else had this happen and is it possible to repair?

Easily fixed but this is the first I've heard of this. See if the dealer will take care of it for you. If not an M5 Helicoil will work.

Did threads pull out with the bolt? Is the bolt the proper length (16mm)?

I was puting the filter cover back on and the top bolt just never tightened down.  I was being SOOO careful.  Had the manual out, had the torque wrench out, everything by the numbers.  I don't know if I should take it to the dealer or not.  Would it be covered under warranty or would they just put a helicoil in it.  Being a mechanic by trade I'd rather do the helicoil myself.  Very frustrating!!

sure you didn't swap the bolt's position or something simple?  If it didn't even start to tighten, I would think you didn't ever engage any threads.  Take a look down in the hole and tell us what you see...

Key inserts are way better than helicoils.

Long story short, I was doing the first oil and filter change on 2014 500 EXC and the top screw for the filter housing will not tighten!!!  Has anyone else had this happen and is it possible to repair?

Man, that's a bummer!

When I took my oil filter cover bolts off the first time, I was really shocked at how tight they were.  It's only 6Nm when you torque it down, and that's not very much, but mine took a LOT more than that to break it loose the first time...

CADman_KS

messeur out a thread lenght and put a longer bolt this helps sometimes.

Key inserts are way better than helicoils.

Keenserts or Helicoils should be fine in that size and application.

Problem fixed!! I ended up using a helicoil.  I was a little worried because the wall thickness at the bottom of the screw hole is pretty thin, but it worked out just fine.

Time to Ride!!

Problem fixed!! I ended up using a helicoil. I was a little worried because the wall thickness at the bottom of the screw hole is pretty thin, but it worked out just fine.

Time to Ride!!

That's good news that you got it fixed, but also a little bit worrisome that this happened at all. I'm thinking about the frequency of which we need to change oil and wondering if this hole will hold up long term. At least there's a solution if it does go south....

Right attitude though, just ride!!

CADman_KS

That's good news that you got it fixed, but also a little bit worrisome that this happened at all. I'm thinking about the frequency of which we need to change oil and wondering if this hole will hold up long term. At least there's a solution if it does go south....

CADman_KS

Yea I was really bummed out at first but now I kind of feel better that there is a STEEL insert in there.  I was thinking of just doing the other hole now too, but figured I should just leave it alone.  Aluminum is a soft metal, that coupled with such fine threads and it can happen.  I've seen the same thin happen in cars many times. Just be careful and if the same thing does happen to you, at least you know there is an easy fix.

Scott

CADman_KS

I forgot to mention that I ordered a skidplate from Flatland today.  Looks like a well made piece.  Thanks for pointing me in their direction.

Scott

I forgot to mention that I ordered a skidplate from Flatland today.  Looks like a well made piece.  Thanks for pointing me in their direction.

Scott

No problem.  I think that it's a well made piece for the money spent.

My only complaint, and I think that this is true of all skid plates, is that you have to take it off every time you change oil.

That's more of a bad KTM design than a bad skid plate design.

The Flatland does go on and off pretty easily, though, so it's not a biggy...

CADman_KS

No problem.  I think that it's a well made piece for the money spent.

My only complaint, and I think that this is true of all skid plates, is that you have to take it off every time you change oil.

That's more of a bad KTM design than a bad skid plate design.

The Flatland does go on and off pretty easily, though, so it's not a biggy...

CADman_KS

So what oil did you end up using for your first oil change.  Iwas reading some discussion about this in another post.  I went with the motorex 10w-50.  I used Amsoil 10w-40 in my last bike but it called for 10w-40.

So what oil did you end up using for your first oil change.  Iwas reading some discussion about this in another post.  I went with the motorex 10w-50.  I used Amsoil 10w-40 in my last bike but it called for 10w-40.

You're right, there's a LOT of talk about what oil to use, all OVER TT!

For my first two oil changes, I decided to go with Rotella T, which is non-syn oil.  I used 15w-40.  I have only changed mine once so far (at about 2 hours), and now I'm due for the second.

After that, I plan on running at least one, if not two Rotella semi-syn, which is T5, and then switching to T6 full syn...

CADman_KS

You're right, there's a LOT of talk about what oil to use, all OVER TT!

For my first two oil changes, I decided to go with Rotella T, which is non-syn oil.  I used 15w-40.  I have only changed mine once so far (at about 2 hours), and now I'm due for the second.

After that, I plan on running at least one, if not two Rotella semi-syn, which is T5, and then switching to T6 full syn...

CADman_KS

I never realized Rotella ws MC/wet clutch approved. Always thought of it being for deisels.

Glad it worked out. When I design aluminum parts that will have screws removed frequently, I commonly install key inserts in the original parts.

As a side note they are properly called keyed inserts. A Keensert is a name brand of a keyed insert. This is like Kleenex is a name brand of tissue.

i prefere in sommer when its hot outside motul 300V 15w60 and in colder days motul 7100 10w60 it works the best for me now i have 115 hours on 450exc 2011 90% of woods and trial riding and all valves are in tollerance and no wear inspected. So i will ever use MOTUL oil in my bikes !