Sign in to follow this  

1989 rm80k engine will it fit any other dirtbike frames like a 125, 250 rm?

I have a 1989 rm80k in good condition I'm looking to swap it into another bigger frame like a rm125, or a rm250 from the year 1990 & up....I'm looking for some great advice thank you hope to hear from ya....

why would you want to do this? I would think The 85 motor would have some trouble moving those bigger tires on a 125 or a 250. If you want a 80 with bigger wheels get a big wheel kit for your 80. If you don't want that get a 125 or 250. 

Actually, years ago, jeff fredette rode a kx80 engined kx125 in an ISDE. So I guess theres an ass for every seat. A typical 125 is only 40 or so lbs more than an 80.

sorry ick, but that was Larry Roseler(sp?)... Fredette was a KDX 200 rider thru and thru. But your point is good... the full size 80/85cc class was huge back in those days. TM still offers the 85/100 in a full size chassis.

A 125 is essentially a bigger 80.   Their power styles are similar.  It would be cheaper, quicker, faster to just get a 125... and put the 80 engine in a go-cart :)

There is a reason putting a 80 engine in a full size frame is rarely done.

sorry ick, but that was Larry Roseler(sp?)... Fredette was a KDX 200 rider thru and thru. But your point is good... the full size 80/85cc class was huge back in those days. TM still offers the 85/100 in a full size chassis.

I knew it was one of those guys